Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Best Shocks- Axis, Works, Ohlin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best shocks that money can buy?

I'm 6'2" and weigh 245. I got my stock shocks cranked all the way out (stiff) and I'm still bottoming out on big air jumps. I need something that will support my fat a$$. I need to loose some weight too...

Old 06-28-2001, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

axis is the best. there is a reason their most expensive. i have also heard nothing but good things about elka shocks and they have a very good price and some features that axis doesn't have.

Old 06-28-2001, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

i ame extremely happy with axis and PEP. I have axis on one of my r's and pep on the other they both feel great but one problem with pep waiting period.

Old 06-28-2001, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

99% of the people in here would not be able to tell a performance differance between a WORKS and AXIS shock if they were blind-folded. If the units you buy are setup properly for your riding style and weight, you can't go wrong with any of the choices. They are all better than stock. With that being said, let my say this.

Custom AXIS shocks feature spherical heim bearings in the top and bottom eye holes with stainless steel bushings that will NEVER wear out. The bodies are coated in a special process that alters the surface finish making them virtually scratch proof. The springs Custom AXIS uses are made by Eibach and are recognized as the highest quality available in the world. They also use chromemoly shafts vs chromed steel shafts. Custom AXIS spared no expense when designing and making thier shocks.

If you want the best, then Custom AXIS is the choice for you.

Old 06-28-2001, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

For what you would pay for Custom Axis shocks, you can buy Elka shocks and Houser racing's long travel front A-arms. Elka shocks are hard anodized (just like Axis ) and use Eibach springs and a hardened chromoly shaft ( just like Axis ). The only thing they don't have is the unreasonably high price that Axis has. Check out the Quad Shop.

Old 06-29-2001, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

hey cstark... what does the AXIS have that maybe the Elko shocks don't? It sounds as though the Elko's might be the better buy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ...are they missing something?

any thoughts?

Old 06-29-2001, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

RotGutBottom,

Okay, here's something Elka doesn't have that Axis does: Ownership by Penske racing and the dollars it takes to advertise like they do including sponsoring the top riders. Other than that, that's about it.

On the other hand, Elka uses dedicated hydraulic lines and fittings instead of braided stainless lines and NPT (national pipe thread) type fittings and their teflon lined bushings will not only last as long as an Axis, but are replaceable.

Trending Topics

Old 06-29-2001, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

SWEET!!!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-29-2001, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

Ok so I now got the scoop on the AXIS and ELKA, but what about "WORKS", That's about all i see down here at the MX tracks, how do they compare to the other two?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

<< It's not the fall that hurts......it's the bounce! >>

Old 06-29-2001, 04:07 PM
Range Rover

www.hsdracing.com check out the elka's http://www.elkasuspension.com

elkas are cheaper and have some replaceable oarts that the others dont and have some standard features others dont

Quick Reply: Best Shocks- Axis, Works, Ohlin?