Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Tires for Recon ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's about time for new tires. I was thinking 22X12.5X9 ITP Blackwaters in the rear. I would like to keep the stock rims just to save money. I am concerned about what effect they will have on handling. I run Blackwaters on the Rancher and really like them, but they are real stiff and give a pretty rough ride. The Blackwater has a very rigid case, where the stock tires are kind of soft and balooney. I take a lot of beginners riding, and they all LOVE THE LITTLE RECON! I'm worried that a tire change will effect handling and make it a less beginner friendly bike. Anybody have any experience or advice? And what about front tires? Haven't even thought about that yet.

Old 06-28-2001, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had blackwaters on my recon for a little while. I lost alot of power though. It seemed like I was in fifth gear when I was taking off and I was actually in like second or first.. It takes alot more power to turn those big tires. That would explain the slow excelleration. As far as handling goes I noticed quite a rougher bumpier ride. I would recommend the gbc dirt devils...I have them on mine now, they offer great traction in almost all conditions,especially mud. I am very pleased with them.
<<<kyle>>>

------------------------------------------
2000 recon
ids2 exhaust and header pipe
shockwears
k&n filter & prefilter
jet kit
dirt devils on douglas .190 alums

Old 06-28-2001, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

I would also highly recommend the Dirt Devils. I just installed a set on the back of my two wheel drive Rancher ES and let me tell you they are awesome, they do good in mud, hardpack, sand and everywhere else. Here's the best part, they are cheap, (I paid $48 a piece with no shipping from Dennis Kirk) they are 6-ply which makes them much more durable and puncture resistant, and they didn't affect the ride or handling at all and there was no power loss whatsoever. I also mounted mine on my stock rims and they look great to. If I were you I would get the Dirt Devils. Good Luck!

Old 06-28-2001, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

my friend who had a recon had 4 im repeat four !! tires !!

Old 06-28-2001, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

The dirt devils are ok but if you want a really good trail tire that wont rob the Recon of power get the Maxxis All Tracks. If you want a really good all terrain trail mud tire get the Maxxis Sur Tracks.
I have these tires on my bike now and they are the best tires I have ever owned. They are amazing for all riding conditions. I also bought a UNi air filter just to maintain the current acceleration time.
This is a good combo Uni and Sur Tracks.
You wont be dissapointed!

Old 06-30-2001, 11:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey honda pride u know where alex bay or watertown ny is..10 minutes from the can border and an hour from ontario..