Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

EXHAUST System For 400ex DMC, White Bros or Big Gun?? Discs??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2001, 11:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get a full exhaust system for my 99' 400ex. I want it louder, which I know all three do but I also want enough power to wheeli easily and more power throughout the entire powerband. Thanks

Old 07-01-2001, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

Do not get a disc system. Do you see any of the Pro's w/ 4strokes using discs? that should be the first clue. plus in the manual of my WB slip-on, it says to remove the discs for more power, with loss of spark arrestor and increase in sound level. With my DMC i have raced both the Big-Gun and the White Bros Pro-Meg, and beat them both. The Big-Gun guy even had a 440-kit, but nothing else, not even a cam or a carb. so it wasn't running that great. my DMC will wheelie in 4th gear(from the ground up) if you are in the right part of the power-band. I would also check out Curtis Spark's X-6.

Old 07-01-2001, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer

The DMC blows everything else away!
It works killer on stock motors and full race jobs. If you decide to do mods later you won't have to get a different pipe.
But it's also the most expensive pipe. If money's not a problem definately go for it.

Old 07-01-2001, 05:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

what type of riding are you going to do? i have a lrd full exhaust and its loud and has tons of power...looks great too. if u want more power dont go with any pipe like the duncan racing double barrell. the seperate head pipes cool the exhaust gases down too much and you will lose power with that. you want good exhaust pressure and u want it not to lose its temp. at the races you see people with a single head pipe not the double.

Old 07-01-2001, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

One of the reasons I got the big gun was because it gave the best inprovement throuout the entire powerband, and was just shy of the best peak power. Only the WB beat it on top, and the DMC didn't even come close on the dyno. I also like the sound of my big gun vers the wb.

As for power goes, with only the exaust, rejet, K&N, and no airlid, it wheelies in every gear, or will just spin the tires in every gear if I am not sitting far enough back on it. I can't wick open the throttle like I would while shifting anymore, it causes a bad loss of traction, but also makes for steering around the corners with the throttle.

It's all personal experience, but I would stay away from the disks, they never ammounted to much on cars, so now they are trying them on bikes.

Old 07-01-2001, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

hey 1sickFST500: have you done any drag racing? if so how has your engine performed

Old 07-02-2001, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

Here are my views on pipes that I have heard and seen about them.

Cobras are cheap, you get what you pay for, hardly any gains. DG are loud and give you top end and some gains on mid and low. Big Gun give awesome low end and good mid but hardley any top and works bad on a modded engine. White Bros e series are the best pipe all around for riding in a noise sensitive area. R series jsut gives moderate gains all over. DMC and Duncan give good gains all over(comprible to WB E Series or more), DMC are loud and takes away power when spark arrestor added, works good on a modded engine. HMF small gains all over. LRD has great top end and good mid but poor low. Pro Circuit has nice gains all over as well as the FMF powere core IV. CT Sparks have the BEST gains but are to loud for noise sensitive areas ORV parks.

Hope I helped!

Old 07-03-2001, 07:38 PM
Range Rover

the white brothers manual for mine says every atv has its own number of discs that gives it the most power. disc systems sound 10 times as good. my 300ex with a white bros slip on beat a 300ex with a FMF powercore full system. for all you smart a$$'s that say its 75% rider and 25% machine, we traded and mine still one. we even let 2 other guys race and switch and mine still one. we both have the same mods that effect performance.