Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX a sport quad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 04:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that my brother is the word. Like it or not the truth hurts.

Old 07-14-2001, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

The craziest post in this thread is the one about Raptors whipping DS ***. I could only roll my eyes.
I have both quads. The 400EX is an awesome quad. It's quick, light, easy to ride etc. etc. But an EX to a DS is like a Camaro to a Viper.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2001, 08:59 AM
Range Rover

Yes, this guy is crazy, I think he is doing some fuzzy math. I love 2 strokes but if I was to buy a 4 stroke the only one made now that I would buy is the DS650, my buddie has one and he has yet to put a wrench on it, he has had it a year and beats the snot out of it. The only documented problem with the DS has been the front shock problem, and that is one of the only components not manufactured by Bombadier, the Yamaha has been a sloppy mess. Any quad that you have to split the cases on, that is less than two years old is a piece of sh@#. People who rag on the reliability of Banshee's, but at least the bottom end will last three good years on them. Yamaha really dropped the ball on this one, they had a chance to turn the sport ATV industry on it ears, but due to reliability issues and the fact that you have to put a racing axle on the Raptor as it rolls out of the show room, makes the Raptor a BIG DUD.

Old 07-14-2001, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was younger I had a smaller quad 350 warrior, but a big manhood[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] over the years I wore it down to a smaller size (my manhood)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] so the only thing I could do is get a DS--yes, that is the reason I got a DS -- Now that I got that off my chest I feel better now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Have a nice day.

Old 07-15-2001, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Not trying to bash any quads, but get tired of people trying so say how slow 400exs are. Yeah in the dunes they might be behind the raptor and ds, but in the woods and on the track it isn't going to be behind. In fact, where are all the raptors and DS at? I have been to a couple tracks around me and never see any raptors or Ds, all 400ex and 250r. hmmmmm

Old 07-15-2001, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer

I agree 100%. But think about it like this. Its being compaired to machines with
250CC+++ ADVANTAGES!!!!!!!!! Of COURSE its going to be behind in the dunes.
But you know what? Its not THAT behind, is it? Not only that... But the 400EX dominates every other category alongside its older brother, 250R. That says alot.

Another way to put it. Its like constantly compairing the 300EX motor with a 550CC, and 560CC!
The fact that the Raptor and DS people are even mentioning, and compairing... and ragging on.. the -250, and -260CC 400EX is almoast a compliment. Whats better? Mod that 'little weak' 400 alittle, and it betters them in accelaration.

Now imagin if honda were to drop a 650CC motor in there to equal the 'big guys' motor size....
It would be un-touchable, considering how good the 400 already is. You KNOW those other guys are hoping Honda dosnt do that......
Honda is awsome.

-Matt (01' RED 400EX, 84' 200X)

Old 07-15-2001, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

Hey 2strokesrule,

If you live in a glass house, don't throw rocks a$$hole!!! (Suzuki's Quadracers have TERRIBLE reliability!!!)

I have a Raptor which has had ZERO problems. Of course there are going to be some issues with first year quads. At least it only took Yamaha one year to iron out the new quad problems; unlike Suzuki with the Quadracers, which seemed to have an eight year run of unreliability issues.

Old 07-15-2001, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

MrCO1400EX, Did you read the entire thread? Your comments mirror what was originally said. When is Honda going to step up and produce a bigger motored performance quad? I think we all agree, it would be one awsome ride if they were to build it. If my business didn't revolve around the DS, I'd probobly be one of the first in line to buy it.

Old 07-15-2001, 09:23 PM
Range Rover

The only problem I have ever had with my quadracer is my coil driver wire fell off one time while I was riding. I still have my original clutch and gearset after ten years, lets see if you can say that after one summer, I DON'T THINK SO. Oh yeh I can go aroung a corner without tipping over or railing around it, the Raptor handles like a Polaris Scrambler. Sounds like our local Raptor owners are a little sensitive to people pointing out the major faults of Yamaha's latest creation, well at least they still have the Banshee to fall back on.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-15-2001, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

You guys that say Honda's 650 would be untouchable shouldn't be so confident. Look at both of Honda's 2 best sport quads (250R & 400EX) neither was or is the fastest in their class. That just isn't Honda's thing. When Honda released the 400EX they could have came out & beat major *** (like Bombardier did). But they released a quad that was slower than the Banshee & not really any faster than a Sport/Scrambler. Yes the Honda was smooth & had great handling (the reason I like mine). But Honda being the fastest I wouldn't hold my breath on. That just isn't their goal.

Quick Reply: 400EX a sport quad?