Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

how many of you are sick of the displacement wars

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok guys, this is getting out of hand.

Why do we need 660cc quads. It seems like the motors are getting bigger but the quads aren't getting any more powerful.

Or we get something like the raptor, they dumped all that money into the motor, it runs badly, all detuned, and it handles like crap because it is too thin.

Then you get the 400ex, grossly underpowered for a 400cc, but handles awesome.

Why dont' they meet in the middle, a 400cc quad, that handles great, and has a lot of power. It can be done, look at the built stock bore 400exs. Just a high comp piston, cam, porting, and a timing advance and they are a whole different machine.

I just don't get it.

The cannondale is the only one that did this..but its so damn expensive..

Old 07-29-2001, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

exactly

Old 07-29-2001, 09:09 PM
RIP Dear Friend

All I can say is after coming off of a 300ex(nice machine), my Raptor is god/send.

Old 07-29-2001, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. If bigger was the only thing that mattered, all of our women would be living with **** stars. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I guess it's the American way, the more excessive, the better.

Old 07-29-2001, 10:29 PM
Range Rover

I have concerns with the quad engines getting too big, which for the type of trail riding we have around Ontario thay all ready are. We have a 400 and a 350 and they are plenty fast enough on trails and the road as well, the suspension and tires are already being stretched passed their intended uses! I agree the manufacturers should concentrate their efforts in refinment and durability instead of bigger engines. Trails will suffer more damage and more people will get hurt from these bigger Quads and that will not do any of us any good trying to get more trails opened!

Old 07-29-2001, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

MY QUESTION TO YOU 94DGBLASTER IS: HAVE YOU EVER DRIVING ANY OF THESE QUADS YOU SPEAK OF?
GRIZZLY 600 UNDER POWERED? I DON'T THINK SO! SLOW? YES UNDERPOWERED? NO
AND I HIGHLY DOUBT THE 660 GRIZZ IS UNDER POWERED.

Old 07-30-2001, 12:16 AM
Range Rover

Speak for ur self aaron, ur quad is one bad A$$ ride!

Old 07-30-2001, 04:21 AM
RIP Dear Friend

This is almost like saying why does Chevy make a 454 when a 350 will do just fine. Help me out here who had the original phrase for different strokes for different folks. Was it Honda ?

Old 07-30-2001, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

I agree!!!I worked for Honda,they said there is an a** for every seat LOL.So if you like bigger they it make it bigger,but their in the catch up mode!

Old 07-30-2001, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Please!!! Let's not complain because for the first time in about 10 years we actually have some good choices. Just a few years ago if you wanted a sport quad you had to choose between a Warrior, 300ex or Mojave. The only truly high performance quad was the Banshee for about 10 years. Now we have Cannondales, 400ex, Raptors and DS650s to choose from not to mention the great strides utility quads are taking. Frankly, in stock form not even any of these are fast enough for me personally.

Plunker, you talk about trail damage and people getting hurt. Guess what, a lot of people don't ride trails, they ride dunes and desert. Getting hurt??? Don't buy the big quad if you can't handle it. Despite the trends in recent years, people actually should be responsible for their own actions. Besides, bigger engines get you a lot more than speed, they get you TORQUE. Did you ever think that an UNDERPOWERD machine is just as dangerous?

I for one am happy to finally see the ATV companies getting past the RIDICULOUS law suits of the 80's and making some real machines. Let's not get stuck in the "least common denominator" way of thinking. For those unfamilier with that term it basically means providing something that the dumbest most un-coordinated person can handle and making that the top limit. You know, like speed limits. Any idiot can drive 55 MPH so that's what we'll make the limit just to be SAFE.

94DGblaster, you're wrong. About a lot of things I'm sure but specifically about quads getting bigger but not more powerful. A DS650 or Raptor are SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than a 400ex plus the torque advantage. Also, a 400ex is not GROSSLY underpowered. Remember, the more power you get per CC the less reliability you are going to have as a general rule.

Here's another news flash for you: Some people are small, some average and some large. Quads are not a one size fits type of machine. Another news flash: Some people are better riders than others. Point is: Different machines for different people. If it were up to some of you guys there would be one quad that everybody had to adapt to. Not to mention the fact that diversity in a product line will naturally breed competition and ultimately better choices.

Quick Reply: how many of you are sick of the displacement wars