Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda vs. Yamaha reliability??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am brand new to the ATV scene and I am trying to decide what kind of atv to buy. I know I want a four-stroke sport atv and have pretty much narrowed it down to Honda 300ex,400ex or a Yamaha Warrior. I know the Honda name is great, but I don't know as much about the Yamaha name. Is Yamaha as reliable as Honda?? I have ridden a friend's Warrior, but I have not ridden a 400ex.
P.S. Which handles better??
Thanks

Old 08-06-2001, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Well the 400ex handles the best. And is faster then both the 300ex and Warrior. Heres a question for you , Are you any good at riding ? If so i would DEFINATLY get the 400ex. The 400ex has the best suspension , power , speed , and acceleration. The only reason I would say that a 400ex would be wrong for you is that it doesn't have reverse , hopefully you aren't to lazy to get of and turn around a 400ex. Also the chain adjustment on the Warrior is a pain in the A$$.

In my mind Hondas are far more reliable then yamahas , I have owned both and found that Hondas were just more reliable. I'm sure 94dgblaster is going to disagree and tell you to get the 300ex but oh well that MY 2 cents

Old 08-06-2001, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

honda is WAY more reilable and better built.
and a 400Ex will out handle any bike out there

Old 08-06-2001, 05:52 AM
Range Rover

Well, I have a 400ex and think it handles better than the Warrior. As far as reliability, I havent't had any problems in 2 years (since new). I think it should be more of a personal preference kind of thing. Try and ride both and see which one you like best. I think they are both pretty reliable and will last a long time if you keep up on the maintenance. You can't lose with either one, they are both a great time to ride.

Exer

Old 08-06-2001, 06:59 AM
Trailblazer

If this is your first quad then size may have a lot to do with what you buy. I am 6' 210lbs and I ride a 300ex. I suits me fine but I really could use a little more suspension. I think the Hondas handle better than the Yamaha. The Warrior however is probably the most reliable quad that Yami makes. I have a friend that rides a 87 model. It still runs like new. I am still leaning towards to Honda on reliability. The Warrior/Wolverine is the only Yami that I would own. Concider your size and where you are gonna ride at. Remember that the 400ex does not have reverse which is not a issue for me. My next quad will be a YELLOW 400EX!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Test drive all of them and GOOD LUCK!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-06-2001, 01:45 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Honda seems to be better. I have a friend with a 1999 Yamaha Griz and it has had alot of problems.

Old 08-06-2001, 10:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

use to own a warrior it was a decent bike at first but as time went on one problem after the next.I have a 00 400 I love it. No problems at all and a lot faster the only reason to buy a warrior is the seat feels better and reverse but I would buy the 400 hands down anyday!!

Old 08-10-2001, 02:45 AM
Trailblazer

honda has been making the best quads for like ever. yamaha, is great too. when it all comes down to it, its just a choice between yamaha and honda. 400ex's dont have reverse+6 speed, while warriors have reverse, some people have complaints about it being hard to shift into reverse. you dont want a 300ex if you want a 400 lol. the warrior will be better for you if you dont just jump it period. id like a sport quad like the warrior with racks. i play because i dont live on a farm, but i do go to friends house and end up working like a horse. lukily i have my trx300. i play around and do doughtnuts on it but its no warrior. id choose the warrior since it has reverse and a 6 speed. 50cc isnt going to cost you much. 300ex's come from the same trx300 model but have a 10-20% increase in power because of its low weight. trx300s weigh a little less than 500 rather 3-400lbs. people with banshees dont tow anything, which is why i really dont want a banshee because of its power and speed(160km i hear and 100mph eye-watering 100hp)i myself play around more-often then i work. i have a dirtbike too, a kx100 and i usually drive it unless im not goofing around. warriors im not sure have a trailor hitch, so you might want to look into that if your looking to play but still pull a trailor to get the forest.
http://www.atvsource.com/manufacture...d_line/300.jpg my
quad;WARNING:EXTREME HIGH FUN LEVELS OCCURE.

http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/model...del_number=TRX

400EX here is the '02 400ex, and here you might find a better review for the 400ex

http://www.atvsource.com/manufacture...2002/400ex.htm

and here the '02 warrior
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products...atv&rdir=1

(click on the "warrior" then if you want get a full spec and click on "specifications&quot or try this link for a better on-look at the warrior.

http://www.atvsource.com/manufacture...00/warrior.htm

http://www.atvsource.com/manufacture...or_3_small.jpg

warrior in action

hope iv been some help in your quest for atv buying!

date the girl first before you marry her.

Old 08-10-2001, 03:47 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Honda + Yamaha + Kawasaki = 3 reliable ATV manufactures. They all have been in business for a long time. Each one has there problems. I would say that each one has more + than - or they would have been left behind in the 70's. Chet

Old 08-10-2001, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Honda vs. Yamaha reliability??