Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

440 engine troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 01:31 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah thats why u were leaking oil it did not say anything about it in my instructions either so i called wiseco and asked what it was 4 and thats what they said its a mistake that is easy to make just make sure you leave it in next time ok besides you might be able to hone it out really good then put in a new piston or u could use the old one if the scratches and on the top not the sides and get a new ring set and make sure ou torque them right u have to torque them there is no exception my guess is that your motor did not "blow up" the reason it stalled was the compression leaked past the rings into the crank case because of the scores in the piston and cylinder if u hone it real heavy(but not so heavy you have to use a bigger piston) u might be able to get the scores down so they dont make a difference just make sure u put the rings on right also after i rebuilt mine it smoked for a while because of the oil i used to lube the piston and cyclinder and make sure you use plenty of oil to lube them coat the rings real good and the cylinder wall also u have to use new gaskets get cometic topend kit but you have to buy a head cover gasket from honda and a cam chain tensioner gasket and o ring and a cylinder o-ring a have all the part numbers 4 the honda gaskets if u want them

Old 08-09-2001, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

thanks. Yeah i didn't really blow the motor. I honed the cylinder enough, but now have 13 thousand clearance between the piston and cylinder,,,recommend only 4. So i think i will have to bore it to the next size. I will definately make sure I put the wire on next time. Thanks for the help and i will let you know how it turned out.

Old 08-09-2001, 07:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm really curious as to who built your 440 kit, and if you called them first (seems that i would call them) didnt they help you any??? BUT,,thank god for these forums and the great ppl that have just helped you out! have a great day!

Old 08-09-2001, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

me and my buddy were the ones that put the motor together. I have a bit of motor experience so I wasn't too scared to do this project.

Your right about these forums, the internet has made is possible to find answers to questions in real time. And thanks to everyone that helped out.