Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

330 kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

I'm thinking of making my 300ex into a 330, whats the baisic cost?
What does this kit include?
Where can i buy these parts?

Old 08-14-2001, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

I am quoting all these parts from Dirtwheels who got them from Four Stroke Tech. The big bore kit which includes a new piston (80mm, stock is 74) cylinder sleeve, big bore head gasket, the price is $295. You must have your stock cylinder resleeved, the quoted $130, but here it can be done cheaper than that. Black box mod to allow unlimited revs $85. FST Midrange cam $195 (WB I belive is only abour $100 or so). Port and flow job $250. Hard chromed rocker arms $110. Supertrapp IDSII Race pipe, no price was given for this. Heavy Duty clutch springs $20, heavier chain $120, K&N Filter $35 and air box mods $10.
If you do this, keep in mind that you will now have a total race motor, and it will run MUCH hotter than stock, therefore an oil cooler will also be needed. You also wont be able to use the power with that crappy stock suspension on the 300ex. They added works shocks all around and extended front a-arms and axle, that wont be cheap! I would think about welding on new upper shock mounts and then using 250r or 400ex suspension geometry.

Old 08-14-2001, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

Just from MY experience, don't buy sleves from FST. The one they sent me with my engine kit had been dropped or something and it was out of round. My engine builder had to make me a new sleve and use it. He only charged $20 to make a sleve!!! I was like holy $hit you shoulda told me you made sleves, I would have just ordered the piston and the gasket. Anyway he charged $80 to resleve it and another $20 for the new sleve. The worst part is FST doesn't have a warranty for craftsmenship so I cant call them and complain. I guess you live and learn. Buy a kit from TC, the sleves are taper bored and you dont have to get your cases matched.

Old 08-14-2001, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

My name is Mickey Dunlap and I see some misrepresentations of my parts. First of all, people should call me if they have a damaged part and I do stand behind my stuff 100%. I have a hard time believing this person since this particular sleeve is nearly 1/4" thick and even if you dropped it, would be hard to make it out of round. In any case, if someone is able to make a sleeve of high quality and good material for $20, I would be more than glad to order 100 of them right now and lower the price of my kit to the consumer. Another error in one of the other answers was my price of my cam and valve springs - this was mis-quoted in Dirt Wheels. I am not advertising my parts here. I just want to keep the record straight. I believe I have the right to defend myself when I have been misrepresented.

Old 08-15-2001, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Mickey,

I will not lie, I have heard many things about your kits... and more than one have been negative.

But, it is really refreshing to see someone from a popular, and respected company come into the forums to get things straight. I don't know if you visit often, but I recommend it. This is a very good place to find out about your customers. If only the "BIG 4" would do as you have done, maybe we as avid ATVers could have a quad like we all have dreamed of. As a 4 stroke builder, I would like to ask your opinion of the Cannondale. If all companies shared your concern for your products, I think the sport that we all love would play a little bit more towards our likings. Thanks Mickey!!

Old 08-15-2001, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

Hey
My biggest problem right now is the price
I just put a new stock top end in my ex and i think if i sold some of the parts i could make a fair amount towards it.
The new motor has about 10 hours on it.

Old 08-15-2001, 02:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

How much do u think it would cost total to do the 330 bore and just the necessary things, not like shocks and a arms and oil cooler and that stuff. just the 330 bore and the necessery stuff[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2001, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

my total cost was 890 built by FST. He installed the sleeve, ported, did my CDI, and installed the piston in the top end and all i had to do was install the head.

Then i bought my cam and valve springs and hard welds for 300 from Rick Ritter.

I was very impressed with the quality of the work, Wasn't impressed with customer support and time it took to recieve my motor. It was over 4 months. And i called several times to receive no answer, and called twice to get, "I will ship your motor out before the end of the week", 2 weeks pass, i call back and i got oh i had to go out of town its not done, another week or so.

But my motor runs execellent. On the phone i thought the Tom from TC racing was a pushy guy, and everything else but his was junk. He wanted 500 just to port the darn thing! 200 to resleeve, and 100 for CDI work, his 330 kit was the same, 299.

Old 08-15-2001, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

I find it hard to believe that you're the REAL Mickey Dunlap, but I'll go on faith with this one. Who makes your pistons and sleves? Also if you don't believe that the sleve is out of round I'll get the old one from my engine builder and send it to you so you can see for yourself. That and the fact that you just registered on this forum a few minutes after I made a message post seems quite odd.

Old 08-16-2001, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

The internet is a very impersonal way of communication. I use my real name with the hope that this lends credibility that I am not hiding behind some "nickname". I will try to answer as many of the questions that I can because there has been such a big response to me getting on here in the first place. First of all, thank you for welcoming me onto this forum. In regards to the question of "why don't the factories look at these sites" - they do. They are more interested in it than you will know and I believe some of the sites are set up by the factories. They get on here for the same reason I have - to see what the customers are saying and what the market it calling for. So keep stating your opinions - the squeaking wheel gets the oil. In regards to you question on Cannondale, the factory is about 15 miles north of me and they have been down here on my test track. I think they have made a great try at building a good high-end machine and any time you bring out something like this you will have problems but they are commited to build the best. As far as answering all of the questions as far as my products, you will have to contact me personally through e-mails or on the phone. This site is not for advertising.

Quick Reply: 330 kits