Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon reliability in mud and water

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was just wondering, i've heard if you go in alot of Mud and Water with your ATV, that the Rubicon may not be the bike for you because the tranny is sensitive to water, if you get water in it, it could be really dangerous, is this true, my buddy is thinking of getting one but he likes to go into deep water, like floating water deep. I have a 2000 grizz and i've got water in it 2 times now, but all i've had to do is take the drain plug out and let the water out of the tranny and let it warm up for 5 minutes and away I go.
Now the Rubicon, they say if you get water in it you better flush your oil right away.
Is the Rubi rock solid as the old Honda's. Are there people that abuse there Rubicon's out there and that go through the worst terrain possible like I do.
I go where we have to pull the polairs's home because when they suck water they don't have a drain plug.
2000 Grizz
3500 Km's not a hickup.

Old 08-16-2001, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Well I don't know about the Rubi but to all the POLARISES you pull out just tell them to put it in nuteral and rev the engin for 5 min. They just blow the water out!
<u>We don't need no stinkin drain plug!</u>

Old 08-16-2001, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

Not if it is full they won't, we had to pull home an SP the other day. I mean when the tranny takes a good dunk and gets alot in it, there done, so ya a drain plug would answer that.

I really want to know about the Honda and how high the air intake is because I hear it is crucial not to get water in it, is it true.
Thanks

Old 08-16-2001, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know if the Rubi will goes through deeeeeeep water.

Old 08-16-2001, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

that rubi is pretty heavy,may not swim like a duck.here's a trick i've seen some guys use around here,it sounds kinda stupid but i have seen it,take a basketball let the air out stuff it somewhere under the frame in the frt then air it up.try to find a spot where it will wedge(not on your plastic.this will help hold it's head up

Old 08-16-2001, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

I have had absolutely no problems with mine transmission at all. As a matter of fact I have had no issues with either of my Hondamatics. The first one was a 1978 CB750 With 12K it has yet to fail. And I would not worry the transmission; it’s a completely sealed unit.

Over all I’m totally impressed with Honda. They do their homework prior to releasing any new models. They research and test the best deigns for years prior to a release. Unlike some other manufactures that see a new model come along and they race back to the drawing board just to release their next experiment to the public.

I for one do not want to spend my money on a quad just to be that company’s research and development dept. After all it probably costs less in warranty repairs, than it does to just push the product out to market. Think about that next time you purchase another big-ticket item. Just because someone’s machine has better specs on paper does not make it the best.

Old 08-17-2001, 02:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

My hubby has a 2001 Rubicon and the only trouble he has had is overheating. Don't trust the service guys about this issue. He took it in 2 times and it still overheated. They told him this was normal operation (WRONG). It turned out, when he really looked underneath, that the radiator was full of mud. Other than that, he hasn't had any problems. He takes it in deep mud and water with nothing happening. I don't know how deep you're talking about but I've seen it up to the seat in water with no problems at all. I hope this helps. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2001, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

The truth of the matter is that the Rubicon transmission can get completely full of water, and still run. It uses liquid to work, and Honda even tested one out by running it with water instead of oil. The issue is that since the hydraulic fluid they use is oil, and oil and water don't mix, getting water into your transmission can be a bad thing. That is why the Hondamatic has 3 filters to prevent this. You are much more likely to suffer from water in your engine that water in that tranny.
But hey, keep trying to start these tranny failure stories, they're getting amusing.

1700 miles of trail riding, and no tranny problems ever!