Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Question for the smart mechanics in here....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The carb on my Honda 3004x4 has recently been messed up. It wont crank, and when i try to start it, it shoots gas back in the airbox. I took it out to look for a stuck float bowl, but it wasn't stuck. So what's the problem, and how do i fix it? Need help asap.

Old 08-25-2001, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer

Carbs are tricky, I am not that great with them. However, here is my suggestion. If it was the float sticking, gas would pour out the overflow tub. Look and see if the slide or butterfly (which ever you have) is sticking. Also check the needle and jets. Make sure there is no dirt in them. This is not pro advice, but I hope it helps some.

Old 08-26-2001, 12:44 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

Make sure the clip is on the needle, and the slide is not put in backwards because it will be stuck wide open if it is. Gas in the airbox is a classic simptom of a tight intake valve (but it it ran fine before most likely not the prob)

Old 08-26-2001, 03:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Check the float level and adjust it to factory specs. If the float level is within specs, then I would take the pilot jet, main jet and the float out and thoroughly clean the carb with carb clean and compressed air. It sounds like the float level is too high or some debris is keeping the needle from seating all the way in the seat not allowing the fuel to shut off. Let me know what you find out.

Later, Doug

Old 08-26-2001, 10:28 AM
Trailblazer

say if it is a metal float shake it to see if there is gas in it.and if it's plastic see if it feels kinda heavy.replace as needed.did it just start doing this,almost sound like a weak valve spring on the intake,and if you do ck it all over and you still can't find a problem roll the piston over till you get on compression take spark plug out hook air hose into spark plug hole and remove air filter see if your get any air back out of carb if you are then it's possible you have a tight valve clearance,weak spring

Old 08-26-2001, 02:07 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

rember the "rule of thumb" the float should be level when holding the carb up side down

Old 08-26-2001, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

Here's exactly how it happened yall...
It all started when i put my snorkel on my fourwheeler i believe. I rejetted just playing with the fuel/air mixture screw thinking that would do it. Well, when i ride sometime, the power just cuts off, even if i hold the throttle steady. It runs fine at high rpm, but at low rpm it wont stay running. I took out the carb to clean it, since i had recently flooded my airbox with water. I didn't find any water in the carb, so i blew it all out with compressed air lightly, and put it back together. When i put it back in, it ran just as before for awhile. Then i loaded it up to go ride, and when i got there, it wouldn't crank. I looked in the airbox and it was filled with gas. I drained it, and took the carb out again, to look for a stuck float cause thats what my dad thought was wrong. It wasn't stuck, and everything seemed normal. So i put it back in, and it still was blowing gas in the airbox, and would not crank.

So what do yall think?