Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Easy way to get a ton of signatures for the Roadless Initiative

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a sure fire method for helping out the Roadless Iniative, but I can't do it alone, I need some help. It does requires a little effort, but the effort is very minimal compared to the number of signatures that we can all generate.

I have made the steps as easy as I can, but here is the basic idea. You go around to the 3 busiest ATV/motorcycle shops in your local area and give them a petition to have all of their customers sign. Then in a week, you go back and pick up the petitions, take them to the post office to be mailed in and you're done. If we can get at least one person in each town/city to do this, we should be able to generate 100,000 signatures in one week, but we need everyone to spend a few minutes to do this. Remember, it will be a few minutes that could hopefully payoff for years to come.

Here's the step by step.

Step 1 - Download the petition that I have already prepared:

- Petition in WordPerfect format -

- Petition in Word format -

(If you have trouble downloading, try right
mouse clicking over the document and then select save
as or you can email me, and I will send them to you.)

Step 2 - Get 300 copies made of the petition and buy 3
cheap clipboards. (100 copies for each shop)

Step 3 -

Go around in your local area to the 3 top ATV/motorcycle shops. Ask to talk to the manager and ask him if he would like to help his business and our cause with no cost to him. (He will be helping his business because the more roads that stay open, the more business they will have.) All he has to do is place the clipboard by his cash register, and when people pay for their items, have the cashier hand the clipboard to the person and ask if they wouldn't mind signing to help keep the roads open. Tell the manager that you will come by next week, pick up the clipboard with petitions and mail the petitions in. The manager has to do almost nothing - he can't lose. The only thing he has to do is make sure the cashier hands the petetion to everyone and that's it. Remind him how big the Roadless Initiative is. It most surely could put a dent in his business if he doesn't help out.

Remember, this is one of their busiest weeks, so get on it as soon as possible. The earliear the better. Also the petitions must be sent in the mail (post marked) by SEPTEMBER 10, so give yourself enough time to pick them up and get them to the post office. (By the way, the post office will put your petitions in a package for you.) The address to send them is:

USDA-Forest Service -- CAT
Attention: Roadless ANPR Comments
P.O. Box 221090, Salt Lake City, Utah, 84122

As you do it, post back to this thread the city you're in and the shops you went to. When you get your signatures back to mail in, also post how many you got. Let's see who can get the most signatures.

Old 08-29-2001, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I did my part. It took a couple of hours, but I went to 6 shops. Some stores took 1 clipboard full of petitions, and some took 3 clipboards. I figure if each store can get an average of 400 signatures by next week, I will have almost 2500 signatures. If we could get just 1 person from 25 other cities to do this, we could have 100,000 signatures by next week. By the way, the shops were very helpful, in fact they were really glad to see a "joe average" citizen helping to fight the trail/road cause.

It was pretty easy to explain, I just told people that if you ride in the mountains, there's a good chance that you are riding in a National Forest and these would be the roads/trails that they are trying to close down.

If we lose this battle, don't come crying to me unless you to have given some time and effort. Just remember one thing, it is actually easier for us to get signatures then it is for the Sierra groups. We actually have places that we all attend (the shops) at least once every so often. HELP! HELP! HELP!