Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Can anyone help me with a bent axle on Recon

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2001, 07:22 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was riding the other day and my buddy was riding behind me and told me that my rightside wheel was wobbiling. WE checked to see if the rim was loose but it wasnt. Now can anyone tell me if the rim could be bent or is it the axle. Also is that a solid axle on an 01 Recon. I was jumping with it a couple of days before and this probably happened then. So anyone who could help me out with any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. P.S. anyone with a recon I would not jump it because the axle seems a bit week compared to my rancher's. And belive me they were not any big jumps that the machine could not handle. Thanks Guys.

Hennyhog [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-11-2001, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know for sure but all Hondas have a solid rear axel. To see what is bent swap the left and right rear tires and take it for a ride. Have your buddy follow and look again. If the wobble follows the rim then the rim needs to be replaced. If the wobble stays on the same side the axel is the problem. The axel may be able to be straightened. Many prop shafts for boat motors are straightened. Break out the yellow pages and find a company that straightens prop shafts and see if they will straighten yours.

Old 09-11-2001, 09:31 PM
BK
Pro Rider

A tool and die shop will be able to straighten it fairly cheap. We have had to do that before. To check whether it is axle or rim you could put the Recon up on blocks with back tires off and tell pretty easy if axle is bent and where at.

Old 09-11-2001, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

or you could just jack the rear end up and put in gear and hit the gas. See if the wheel wobbles and if it does try to find where it rotates at. If you can't find it just take the advise above and swap the wheels around and check then. But although I would not want to just bend it back. That would make it even less reliable and bendable. Just buy a new one. Also, I have jumped my Recon many times and never had a bent axle as a result of a jump. In fact it took a 50 foot roll down hill to actually bend te axle.

Old 09-12-2001, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

any shop with an lathe can straighten it fo u.
its going to bed alot but i dont think it is worth buuying a 300+ dollar axle for it if they even make one for it.