Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help with starting an old 87 250r!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW that bike is in awesome shape!Man U are really lucky geez!I think I am in love!I wouldn't ride it if I was U just donate it to me and I will take good care of her[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The reason why the throttle won't open is because over time gas turns into varnish.And that varnish is really really sticky and eventually It will just be like glue.U are going to have take the carb out of the carb boots and unscrew the lid and pull down on it.Don't pull so hard U break the carb but work with it.Spray some carb cleaner in there.And just try to get the carb of.Once U get the carb off spray it with carb cleaner and let it soak make sure U get all the jets clean needle/seat and all the little air holes etc.

Man That is a really really nice bike U are really lucky!Why did U say it needs new plastic?It looks to be in great shape to me.

86 trx250r setup for mx
97 300ex

Old 09-17-2001, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

Thats a nice r, for free anyway. I would pay money for that to!

Old 09-17-2001, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to much quad and work for you. i trade my new250ex. anyways how come your dad gave up riding?

Old 09-17-2001, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

Ditto on everything lonestarbanshee said. If you don't have experience with carbs though, get some help. You might want to buy a rebuild kit at the same time. In fact, call your local dealer and ask them how much to rebuild the carb. See if it is worth it to you. Also, get a new spark plug.

As far as the stuck throttle, make sure it isn't a stuck cable. After you disconnect the carb for cleaning see if you can move the throttle. If not, save yourself the hassle of trying to clean and lube and just buy a new one.

No use telling you Good Luck, you seem to have it already. RESPECT and BOW to your father. He doesn't have a 63 vette in the garage does he?

/NotURaptor

Old 09-17-2001, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

robert106-

that is a NICE R!!! if you would like to sell it, let me know. i am interested. i also have a 2001 300EX with MANY extra's. about $1000 in extras. will consider a trade.

if not, have fun. that is one sweet quad.

NT

Old 09-17-2001, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

Thx for all the help guys. i have some exsperance with 2 stroke motors. Only real small 24cc scooter motors though. i got plently of carb cleaner too. I just looked at the carb. it is huge! 20:1 with 92 octane should be good ok, right ? Yea the back fender has a crack in it.the other plastic is great. Should i let it idle after I do get it started ? or rev it or what do u think? Im gonna get a spark plug too. My local shop is Chapperal by the way.

Thx guys.

Old 09-17-2001, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

WOW, that is SWEEEEEET man! Spray the carb down real good with cleaner and empty the gas, then put the carb back together, make sure it works ok first of course. Then if your throttle wont work, you may need to replace the cable as soemtimes they can rust inside the rubber coating thing and stick. If you still cant get it started, woulndt hurt to have chapperel look it over, I am sure htey can get it working. Doesnt look like that things ever even been ridden! Why do you feel you need to replace the plastic? It looked great in the pics!

Congrats on getting one sweet *** R for free man! I am seriously jealous and my R is totally trick. There something about a totally stock R that just makes any 250r owner teary eyed!

Old 09-17-2001, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

Robert106.. Man, I'm 100% jealous of you now. You have a bone stock R, and your shop is Chaparral. How lucky can you get? Can I be your brother? PLEASE! haha I think 20:1 is too rich. Lean that out to 32-34:1, and you'll be blazing some trails/tracks. Have fun with it!

Old 09-18-2001, 02:38 AM
Range Rover

LSB has given you alot of good info. However, it is obvious that you (Robert106) aren't very knowledgable with that bike. I would suggest removing the carb yourself (that is simple enough) and bring it to the local shop. Have them clean it since you don't have the experience. The charge should be very small since it is a simple and relatively quick job.
One problem you can experience with a two-stroke motor that has been sitting for a long period of time is dried out main bearing seals. This spells disaster for the motor. The air leak created will cause a lean condition and a piston meltdown. The only good way to have this checked is with a leak down test. If you want this done by a shop, you can save yourself some money by doing some of the work yourself. Bring the quad in with the exhaust, carburetor, intake boot, and reed cage removed. There will be less shop hours charged to you. Then you can put these items back on yourself when you get it back.

Old 09-18-2001, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Good point BTodd. It's better to be safe than sorry!

Quick Reply: Help with starting an old 87 250r!!