Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What mods to make a 400EX run with a stock Banshee?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2strokesrule we should go riding some time and I will see how "blisterignly" (sp?) fast your LT is. I highly doubt it is even half of what you say it is.

Old 10-14-2001, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, I have NEVER seen a stock 400EX hang anywhere close to a stock Banshee. My wife has a 01 400, and I have NEVER even been able to pull one length on a Banshee, definitely not for a lack of trying though. My Raptor will run even with or usually pull on a stocker, but add a set of pipes and proper jetting and the Banshee sucks the headlights out of even a Raptor. Even a highly modded EX is barely a match for a pipes/jetted Banshee from what I've seen. Now, throw some bumps and corners in there and it's a new ending, but you guys are talking about flat out drag racing, right?

Old 10-14-2001, 09:28 AM
Range Rover

Hey sandtrax, If you were something more than a 15 or 16 year old kid I might take offense to your comment, (but I am not). A 250R will out handle an LT250R, but anyone who knows the quads knows they are pretty much even, when they have the same mods, the LT just has a little better bottom end. Of course there are a lot of bone quadracers out there because people don't maintain them very well, expecially older ones. Lets remember these things are from 10 - 15 years old, I am not bragging I am serious, the only quads that can clearly take me 1 or more quad legths are the banshee, Quadzilla, and DS650. I am even with Raptors, and 250R's.

Old 10-14-2001, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Wow, you must have some serious money in your LT. My buddy has a 90 LT250R
built by Dynoport Racing that has been bored and ported and my piped Raptor destroys it. The original post was what does it take to make a 400EX run with a stock Banshee. If I wanted to beat a Banshee,than I would simply use my Raptor. I was simply curious about what it takes to make my slow poke EX keep up with a stock Banshee.

Old 10-14-2001, 11:48 AM
Range Rover

I don't have much money into my quadracer, I just spent the money on the correct items. Ported 87 cylinder (much bigger intake and reed area than the 88-92 cylinder), keihin airstryker carb, pipe, and shaved head. I have raced two piped Raptors on a paved road in Sanford Maine for 1/3 of a mile. Both of these guy's were good riders, 1st raptor dead even till my 6th gear and the other guy let out of it. Second Raptor race dead even, for 1/4 mile then the Raptor walked slowly ahead, I was very surprised, I figured he would hit his rev limiter but he never did, so after 1/3 of a mile he took me by almost a quad length.

My buddies piped DS650 takes me by 3 quads, another buddies tired Quadzilla is dead even with the DS, and a few mildly built Banshee's weve raced are about the same as the DS.

The funny thing about these races is after all mof us get done racing on the pavement we hit the woods and track, and no one has an advantage from a Mojave to the DS650.

The Banshee is just a different machine from the EX, The Banshee loves top end, but the EX loves the turns and trails.

Old 10-14-2001, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

<< Juggalo, I used to have respect for you but &quot;cut your fenders&quot; is the dumbest thing you can do unless you race on an MX track. Wind resistance doesn't make any diference until you are going at least 80 - 90 and there is no way a 400 is going to do that. DO NOT CUT YOUR FENDERS, they guy who owned my quad before me did and it sucks!!! every puddle is in your face, every corner in the sand, the sand is in your face. >>

well if it doesn't raise your top speed then i guess my EX is really messed up or somethin because my friend has a beat to hell 2000 400EX.
we both had our airbox lids off, but he also had his fenders cut (which looks damn cool in my opinion) and he also cut his spark arrestor out. so yes he was making a little more power than me probably and we were both runnin a bit lean i'm willing to bet too. anyways he had his little bro on there with him and me and him weigh the same so there was a bit more weight on his quad. we were pretty even through the first 3 gears but then he started to gain and gain and gain. i was topped out and he was AT LEAST 6 lengths ahead of me and still pulling. i was probably at WOT for 15 seconds and he just kept pulling and pulling away from me. finally i just let off and went slower cuz there was no way i was gonna catch up. so i guess if you don't go faster when u cut your fenders then my brand new (yes it was broken in) 400EX is messed up. also if it doesn't reduce aerodynamic drag then why is it that when i'm toppped out i can see my fenders in front being pushed back? it even feels like i'm almost being pressed backwards while i'm trying to go forwards.

also yes you do get quite a bit dirtier but it wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be.

Old 10-14-2001, 04:36 PM
Range Rover

One of my buddies has a 2000 400EX that is stock except for the silencer and drilled air box, and his quad was faster than all my other friends similarly modified 2001-2002 EX's. He bought it used (6 months old) and swears it has no other modifications. I don't know what to tell you dude, cutting your fenders will maybe give you 1 MPH on your top end. Your friends EX is faster than yours. By the way ducking down will do more for your top speed than cutting your fenders.

Old 10-14-2001, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

Well, after this mornings ride I can answer my own question. I took my EX out riding this morning with a friend of mine and his stock(with the exception of a Toomey 2into1 air filter and jetting) 2000 Banshee and we did some drag racing. My EX stays side by side with him till my top end and then he slowly pulls away. So I'd say a 400EX with the same mods as mine should be able to beat a 100% stock Banshee. Also if I had a rev box I think I could probably have equalled him in top end as well. I was bouncing it off the limiter.

Old 10-14-2001, 07:33 PM
Range Rover

Yeh, why would you ask the question on a Saterday night if you were going ridding the next day with a Banshee.

Does anyone know what kind of mods a quadarcer would need to beat an F15, wait never mind I just raced one and stayed rite with it. While I am asking what kind of mods would my quadracer need to beat the space shuttle on re-entry, I what to to race one from California to Florida

Wait never mind I just answered my own question, I beat it by half a state.

Oh by the way I own an original Shelby Cobra, an F4 fighter and the state on Vermont

(GROW UP)

Old 10-14-2001, 08:29 PM
Range Rover

Oh by the way RAPTORAZ, 1969 Mustang had a 428 not a 429, I am just telling you so when you go to a Mustang forum and ask what it will take to make you 429 Mustang beat an Atlas Missle, Oh wait a minute you just passed one on Rt66, Never Mind

Quick Reply: What mods to make a 400EX run with a stock Banshee?