Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What mods to make a 400EX run with a stock Banshee?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out "my" (its really my dads) 1970 shelby gt500. its in my photo album.

Old 10-15-2001, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Okay, 2strokesrule here are your answers. I originally started the post because I knew I was going to be racing my friends Banshee today and I was curious upon how bad I was going to be spanked. It turned out that I did better than I thought I would. As for my Mach 1, mine originally came with a 351 windsor. The 428 Cobra Jet was also an option that year. I put the 429 in the car with custom mounts and headers. Along with the NOS Double Cross plate system. So as for beating a F15, I don't think it would. However it would ABSOLUTELY destroy your pitiful little Quadracer. YOU should get a life if all you can do is bash others on this forum.
HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

Old 10-15-2001, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

RaptorAZ I will support you on that one, I have seen a 400ex with a pipe run with a stock Banshee, with or without pipes, now once you port the banshee or put carbs on it, you will not have a chance. You might give him a good race on dirt but on the dunes the banshee is awesome.

As for as 2strokesrule, I figured you were 10 -15 years old, I have a 89 250R with a sparks 265 national kit. Raptors, 400ex, DS650 what ever not even close....The only bikes I have trouble with are alcohol Banshee's. I have been riding for a long time and have never seen an LT250R run with a modified 250R and I don't mean just a pipe and carb. LT250 is a great bike and one of the first ever, but its just not that fast. Just being honest here!

Old 10-17-2001, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with both of you guys. A 400ex with a pipe on it will run with a stock Banshee. You would think that a Banshee would whoop the pants off of a 400ex because a Banshee is only good at being ridden hard aggresively at high rpm's. As for the 400ex, it is better on the mx track and through the trails because it is not "high strung" like the Banshee.

I am glad that Raptoraz asked his question about how he would hang with a Banshee. It is a good question. A lot of it has to do with, just like anything else is who is the better rider. That is what it all boils down to for the most part. Cut fenders does not make a difference on speed in my opinion. My best friend that I ride with all the time, just cut his fenders and we went ridding last weekend and drag raced. Both of us have the same machines with the same mods done to them. He took me twice out of about ten drag races through a bean field that had just been cut. It depends on the rider and how good of start that you get. I obviously got better starts then he did. I do have more experience then him riding, but he is also a good rider and is also fast. I did not beat him by much, only by about a bike length or two.

As for Sandtraxx's 250r, that sounds like a bad-a$$ quad!!!! I don't know about a lt250r though. My neighbor used to have one and he had a lot of problems with it.

Fourtracker14

Old 10-17-2001, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

How quickly 2strokesdrule forgets my 416EX keeps up with him on pavement drags and kills him in dirt/sand drags...that is, when he's able to keep his old quad in one piece. However, I can confirm that he does own the state of Vermont.

RaptorAZ, to answer your ORIGINAL post question: I am quite confident that the mods on my quad will keep me with a *STOCK BANSHEE* in a straight-line drag on pavement...in the dirt/sand, I will probably pull away from it right off the line. Trail riding & MX, I am certain my quad would walk away from it. (based on drags with modified LT250Rs, 250R's, 430EX's, DS650's, Raptors and the Space Shuttle)

Bottom Line: It takes a min $1200 investment in a 400EX to make it go as fast/faster than a stock 250 2-stroker, or new big-bore 4-stroker. But out of the box, it out handles all of them.

Old 10-17-2001, 04:58 PM
Range Rover

Excuse Me MIA416, I never recall you be closer to me than 1 quad length (EVER)on pavement, that is until I hit sixth gear, you hit your rev limiter and I walk away to about a 4 quad win in the 1/4 mile. Yes your $1000 moded motor can take me in the sand, but that is due to my Shredders sucking in the sand. Never mind a MX track where your great handling 400EX can't keep up with me on terrible handling old LT250R.

Shall I prove myself once again this Sunday, YAWN

Old 10-17-2001, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Yawn is right, thats what I do ever time we ride, when you break down. Ba Hahahahaha

And allow me to refresh your memory to the 2 or 3 times I pulled out ahead of you in pavement drags only to have you SLOWLY kreep up to me and by me, as I hit my top speed. And when did you EVER come close to me in dirt/sand drags--never.

And keep in mind, I have been riding on crap-Holeshots against you in the sand, which we all know, is the same kind of tire as your Shredders, and designed for a 2stroker, not a 4stroker.

And yes, you have $250 +2 a-arms and $500 Works shocks to keep in the same league as the stock 400EX suspension.

Blah blah blah...bring it on 2strokesdrule

Old 10-17-2001, 06:34 PM
Trailblazer

line that banshee up against my truck it WILL succomb i guarantee it.

Old 10-18-2001, 03:41 AM
woa
Weekend Warrior

i have dragged down the tar for the 1/4 with four different ex's two shee's and one 250r. i took all of the ex's stock all of our machines are stock. my friend and i went in and bought our ex's at the same time but my 400 has always had better response than his like you can actually tell the difference. as for the shee's i pulled the start and the shee won though they just really pull. now the 250 is the interesting race we had 3 different riders try the 250 and me also and i would always win. i dont know but it had a fresh rebuild last winter. but that is just my two cents

Old 10-21-2001, 05:35 PM
Range Rover

OK OK, I have to eat some crow here MIA416's 400ex is a dead tie with me. He has big bore, big XR400 cam, a pipe, jetting and drilled airbox. I could always take him on the the pavememt before, but now with the introduction of his 16 tooth front sprocket he can now stay with me for a 1/4 mile. A couple of times I took him but that was just a bad shift or something, but I have to say, we must be putting out the same HP as my quad is lighter but I am like 185LBS, a good 40 LBS on him.

SO I STAND CORRECTED

Quick Reply: What mods to make a 400EX run with a stock Banshee?