Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How does the honda recon250 handle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 08:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I am thinking about getting a honda recon 250 and I was wondering how the handling, ground clearance and suppension is.

Old 10-30-2001, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

The Recon's ride is a little on the stiff side compared to a 250EX but not to bad, you'll want it a little stiff if you're going to be carrying anything on the racks. The ground clearance is good and it has a tight turning radius. Overall it's a great quad that's at the top of it's class.

Hope this helps,

Old 10-30-2001, 02:01 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Mrmario416,
Like moto93 said it is a little stiff. My 99 Recon is still stiff even after 350 hours on it. It handles pretty good and the width of the machine makes going through tight trails a breeze. I think you will like it. 02 models even get the 250EX motor with oil cooler. Chet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2001, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

There supposed to be stiff! I like my recon's handeling and it will just about turn on a dime too. Overall GREAT machine!!!

Old 12-19-2001, 03:47 AM
Range Rover

They handle great for a utility quad. But they are slow as F@&!!!! Me and my friend have 250ex's and his little brother has a new 250 recon. Even though they are the same motor, he cant keep up. I way about 180 and he probably dont even weigh 100!! That extra 10% is more than everybody thinks! We are all stock at the moment too. But hope to change that soon. But if you are looking for a utility they aren't bad at all. But personally I would go with something bigger. If I ever got anything with racks it would have to be a 4 by 4. Otherwise get a race quad! A lot of people agree with me there also. But these are all opinions though!

Old 12-19-2001, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer

The Recon is a great Quad. It turns very sharp. The suspension may not be in the racing class but isn't primitive by any means either. It is not a long travel suspension but does the best possible with what it has. The suspension does amazingly well and seems to be tuned so that the front & rear act as a unit so the Recon does not get into a porpoise mode when in rougher ground, it may bounce but the front & rear bounce at the same rates & same times. I do notice that with a little weight on the front, it rides a little better for me (I am 170#). Had a Kawasaki 220 and the Recon is far superior suspension wise and every other wise. Everyone has their own opinion and own uses for an ATV so it is best to test ride. If you don't need racks & the full fenders, the 250EX may be worth considering. On marshy ground with some standing water, the Recon is light enough that it skips right across but you have to keep your speed up.

Old 12-19-2001, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

<< They handle great for a utility quad. But they are slow as F@&amp;!!!! Me and my friend have 250ex's and his little brother has a new 250 recon. Even though they are the same motor, he cant keep up. I way about 180 and he probably dont even weigh 100!! That extra 10% is more than everybody thinks! We are all stock at the moment too. But hope to change that soon. But if you are looking for a utility they aren't bad at all. But personally I would go with something bigger. If I ever got anything with racks it would have to be a 4 by 4. Otherwise get a race quad! A lot of people agree with me there also. But these are all opinions though! >>

Well the 2002 recons are going to be slower nomatter if they have a 250EX motor or not, Recons have lower gearing and they are heavier too. YOur telling this guy if hes not getting a recon then get a race quad, my qyestion is why didn't you get a race quad? J/W not trying to be rude.

Anyways the Recon handles good until you get up to the higher speeds, it will 2 wheel ALOT but it also has good power, suspension and it can be jumped alittle to if you decid to get alittle sporty.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Don't over jump though I blew out my recon rear shock. If you load up the racks or pull a trailor you will really feel it though (really drains the power) Overall great machine!

Old 12-20-2001, 02:12 AM
Range Rover

No I didnt mean that at all. I do like the recon but I said if it were ME and I wanted an utility I would get something bigger. but the recon is a great trail riding quad and is great for beginners.
And a 250ex is a sport quad!!!

Old 12-21-2001, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Sport quad...I guess so

Race quad.....No, Hona has only ever made 2 race quads, 400EX and the 250R.

Old 12-21-2001, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

good but if you don't need the racks get a 250ex its better with more power

Quick Reply: How does the honda recon250 handle?