Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

a question on, what if i wreck my friends fourwheeler, please look

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True, true, true. Sorry guys, that did seem kind of smartassy didn't it? Just one of those days I guess...sorry. Woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning I guess. Again, no offense Bill.

Old 11-04-2001, 09:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

KNOWSALOT,
I thank you for the tongue lashing you gave JEFFMAN.It was well deserved!I did make an HONEST mistake.I have knowledge of about 90% of the ATVs on todays market but have yet to see/ride the new 250ex.I MISTAKENLY figured it was a smaller version of its bigger brothers,the 300ex and the 400ex?You assessment of my error was exact.Thank You once again for setting the record straight.

Bill

Old 11-04-2001, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

JEFFMAN,
No problem,we all have a few bad days once in awhile.Your apology is accepted and appreciated.

Happy Trailing,

Bill

Old 11-04-2001, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

Aww, how sweet? Great to see manly guys admit when they're wrong, and get over it.. LOL Long time no see Bill, I hope everything's going well with you.

DerekHonda, its sad but its true my friend. I believe the "old car" example is the best yet. You break it, you pay for it. However, the kid would be a dumb@$$ to refuse one of your wheels. Note the fact that most 12year olds are though.

Whatever you do, make it clear to the kid that he should keep his crap outta your way!

Old 11-04-2001, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Well, now that you boys have that probalem worked out, something new has come up. I usually leave my fourwheeler out in his barn in the corner alone with about 5 other peoples out there. I get a phone call today about noon and it is sloan, and he says "thanks for the new tires" i say what do you mean and he says he just switched me tires and he likes them so he says he is going to keep them. Well anyway, i get mad as you can imagine and after i finish cleaning the garage, i go out there with my trailer and the doors locked (which it usually isnt) so i go up to the kids dad and he lets me in with hesitation, keeps asking me, are you sure you want it. I am like, yes, i would like to take my fourwheeler home and clean it. He says alright and lets me in and leaves immediately, i see the tires on his, switch them back, and realize my rear bumper is off, sitting on the side, with no bolts left. So i am thinking, what, why is this off. Only then do i start to put things together. He knows that there are basically two ways to load a fourwheeler, drive it up, and lift it up. So i get on, put my key in, and it wont start. So i look around and realize he has pulled my spark plug boot, put it back on, still wont start. Pull it back off, realize he has put some sort of a sap on it that keeps the boot from fitting on it correctly, screw it in a start it up. Well anyway, i had a little conversation with him on aol, here it is

an08960: hey
D2E0R0E4K: nice try sloan
D2E0R0E4K: why were you screwing with my fourwheeler
D2E0R0E4K: just because it is in your barn doesnt give you an open invitation to take it apart
D2E0R0E4K: why did you do it
an08960: cody cleared the doubles with the trail boss
D2E0R0E4K: wow, way to change the subject
an08960: actually it takes me forever to type
D2E0R0E4K: yea ok
D2E0R0E4K: so why did you do it then
an08960: do what......
D2E0R0E4K: thought it would be pretty cool to do some damage to my property ON PURPOSE
D2E0R0E4K: where as mine was an accident
an08960: i want a knew wheel
D2E0R0E4K: well sloan, let me ask you one more time, was your wheel new to begin with
an08960: u shouldnt have wrecked
D2E0R0E4K: your throttle shouldnt have stuck
an08960: learn how to ride
D2E0R0E4K: yea thats mature sloan
an08960: it doesnt stick for me
D2E0R0E4K: yesterday, i felt so bad for what i had done, and was wanting to keep you as a friend and do everythiing i could (within reason) to fix your fourwheeler
D2E0R0E4K: but after i had to spend about an hour putting my fourwheeler back together
D2E0R0E4K: frankly, i dont give a damn anymore
an08960: i do
D2E0R0E4K: ive got your bent wheel, and my used one
D2E0R0E4K: ill swap them at petros tommorrow
D2E0R0E4K: im buying you a new lever, and giving you 20 bucks for a grab bar
an08960: i want my rim
D2E0R0E4K: sloan im giving you your options, im not buying a 140 dollar rim when mine is everybit as good as a new one
D2E0R0E4K: your just trying to get back at me by making me go broke
D2E0R0E4K: not gonna happen, sorry
an08960: no my bent 1
D2E0R0E4K: what are you talking about
an08960: i want the bent rim
an08960: back
D2E0R0E4K: you dont want me to switch the rims
an08960: yes i do i want my rim back
D2E0R0E4K: you would rather have a bent rim, then my used one?
an08960: no i want the [used] one
D2E0R0E4K: so then i will swap them tommorrow, correct?
an08960: i guess\
D2E0R0E4K: fine, glad we got that worked out
D2E0R0E4K: but still, why did you mess with my quad
an08960: and 105$
D2E0R0E4K: or 25
D2E0R0E4K: im 100% sure youve flipped your fourwheeler before
an08960: handlebars
D2E0R0E4K: therefor all of that could not be my fault
an08960: more thjan 105
D2E0R0E4K: cause im just about guarantein you bent them also
an08960: nope
D2E0R0E4K: yep
D2E0R0E4K: it fell real hard on that wheel, and then just like feathered over on that side, i remember, i was sitting on my but watching it
D2E0R0E4K: it was not a harnd enough fall to do harly any famage
D2E0R0E4K: damage
an08960: it bent my bars
D2E0R0E4K: couldnt have, wasnt a hard fall at all
D2E0R0E4K: if they bent on that fall, dreyer owes you a new pair because they were obviously defective
an08960: o u have to give me my bent rim
an08960: it isnt an even trade
an08960: u bent it i dont o u crap
D2E0R0E4K: what are you talking about
D2E0R0E4K: you dont make any since kid
D2E0R0E4K: never once did i say you owed me anythng
an08960: u have to give me ur rim and the bent one
D2E0R0E4K: did you have two rims before hand sloan
an08960: i dont need to give u the bent rim
an08960: u wrecked my quad u give me my rim and new one
an08960: and
D2E0R0E4K: umm no, i fix it the way it would have been beforehand
an08960: 130$
D2E0R0E4K: meaning a good rim, a back bumper, and a lever
an08960: u dont get a rim
D2E0R0E4K: dont think thats gonna happen
an08960: well i want my tire and rim back becuase it was mine in the first place
an08960: its not a trade or anything
an08960: we will talk later

I changed his name incase there is something unlawful about that.

But let me ask some of you guys who were putting it into car terms, lets say a car did get some scratches on it, is it normal wear and tear? No, on a fourwheeler, it would be. Do you ever drive a car through the woods. No, so isnt there some kind of difference.

And also, back to the handle bars, the more and more i think about it, it didnt fall over very hard, and i know he has flipped it before. honestly, i think he is just milking me. If we did go to court, he wouldnt have anyway of proving that i was the one who bent his bars. They arent even bent, they are tweaked, and im about 99.9% positive it wasnt me, or atleast most of it wasnt me.

And also, it was probably more like 2nd gear, i just got on and hammered the throttle (just to move it that much quicker) the bump was about 6-7 feet in front of me and thats when everything happened

Old 11-04-2001, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yea, and for the record, i did stomp on the rear brake, but those are pretty much non-exhistant also, maybe i should buy him so of those also. actually, that wasnt funny. Thanks guys

derek

Old 11-04-2001, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Just as I thought. You are dealing with a typical 12 year old. Does not know how to spell, and lies out the butt. DerekHonda, if you dont think you bent the handlebars, DO NOT BUY HIM NEW ONES. Take the old ones off, and straighten them. Also, if he's going to do crap like that to your quad, take his old wheel to a tire shop and see if it can be fixed. A friend of mine bent his 300EX wheel the other day, and I THINk he got it fixed. The kid sounds like he is pretty stupid, so you might spray paint the old bars just to make them look "new". Don't play his game. Make sure you come clean with his parents too. Tell them what their son did, and maybe that will get him in trouble.(can't hurt you either!)

Old 11-04-2001, 10:56 PM
The Facility

Sounds to me that you are in even deeper than I first thought. From a legallity stand point, if he takes you to court, YOU are the one that's going to have to prove you diddn't damage the bars. Not him. However, if you take him to court for trying to screw you, it's him that has to do the defending instead of you. Although the fact remains that you were the one riding the quad and it belongs to him. You would have to fix it even if he gave you permission to ride. As for the dismantleing of your quad, you wont get anything out of that either because it was in his shed. This kid has definetly got some problems when it comes to who his friends are. I hope somehow you get everything straightened out before he tries taking your whole quad. P.S. I'm not a lawyer, but as I said in a previous post to this topic, I see this everyday and it always ends the same way, in or out of court. Good Luck. KNOWSALOT.

Old 11-05-2001, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

hes bein a real dick now. i say u fix his old handle bars (not hard to do, just take a pipe slip it on the bars and bend em up). secondly if you give him your rim you DON'T have to give him his old one too.

Old 11-05-2001, 05:56 AM
Trailblazer

Here is my 0.02 cents worth. First of all you are responsible for his quad. But the rim from his quad was not new to begin with. You offering to replace it with one of good repair from your quad is an adequate trade. I would even be willing to have his tire put on your rim and you keep the old rim. Second, the grab bar and handle bars you should replace especially since it would be hard to prove they were already bent before you rode his quad. Besides it does not take much to bend those factory bars. Just being honest. Third, if the plastic is not broken and only has scratches I would recommend trying using plastic renew. Personally I consider scratches normal wear and tear of a regularly ridden quad (my opion). Finally, I think you need to deal with the parents. If you are 16 and he is 12 there is a big difference in the maturity levels. You will probably have a more rational response in solving this problem by dealing with the adult of the family.

During our youth we learn many things, consider this one of them. Never let anyone ride your quad and if his quad is on the scale next time let the truck run the sucker over and tell him he should not have left it there.

Quick Reply: a question on, what if i wreck my friends fourwheeler, please look