Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

a question on, what if i wreck my friends fourwheeler, please look

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, today, i was helping out one of my little friends dad, the kid i ride with has a 250ex, and he is 12. I am 16. Anyway, they have about 60 acres of land which i can ride on whenever i want, so come farming season i usually help them out just to try and repay them back a little bit.

Well anyway, today, the 12 year old left the 250ex on the scale and a truck was coming in to weigh in so i just hopped on it and gave it a little gas, anyway, he didnt tell me but his throttle sticks from time to time and it stuck and sent me (in 3rd gear)) towards a little bump, i hit it rode a wheelie and wrecked backwards. Problems include: Grab bar, handlebars (a little bit) front left rim (alot) and left brake lever, and a little bit of scratched up plastic.

Anyway, I tell the kid im sorry, and ill get him a rim, a grabbar and a lever. And he is like, not to mention all new plastic, And new handlebars.

So i start calling around, not planning on spending a whole lot of money on the lever, rim, and grab bar and come up for these totals: lever--------25
grabbar----------20
and front rim----130

I was like, What! I can get a douglas 190 for $50, and i bought my steel rims (on my 400ex) for $20. So anyway, I figure out that our rims are identical on the front, so i tell him i will switch him my rim (that is in better shape than his was, before the wreck) thatway he can ride soon, and it will not cost me anything (except that i will have to buy new ones) But he refuses saying that i owe him all of this stuff. I explaine what i was told, if you break something, you fix it back to original, or better shape. This new rim is in great shape, no dings, looks good and is straight.

Am I right for doing that?
Should i owe him all new plastic for about 10 scratches (and it has alot more other places, his fourwheeler has been beaten up and you can tell)

I think he really just wants me to buy him a new quad. Well Im not gonna let that happen.

Help what should i do

Old 11-03-2001, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

I kinda hinted towards this but im not sure if you picked up on it. His handlebars and his plastic were already far from perfect. So im not sure ifi bent the handlebars any. He says i did, but he has flipped it plenty of times.

And the scratched on the plastic are all on the back left side of the plastic (right above the wheel) but they are all on the edge of the plastic, so i think i can sand it down. I dont know, i feel bad that i wrecked it, but i dont think its really my fault. what do i do?

Old 11-03-2001, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

i don't think it was all your fault because you didn't know that his throttle sticks. i wouldn't get him new plastic when already it had a bunch of scratches. i would just try to fix the lever and the grabbar and give him my front rim.

Old 11-03-2001, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

it is your fault because you just went and took it. he is probably really pissed at you and he's tryin to get anything he can from you. wait a while until hes not so mad and he'll lighten up hopefully. the bars you can probably bend back to their original shape. just kiss his *** a whole lot and hopefully you can repair the damage without too much money. new plastics is gonna be expensive as hell.

Old 11-03-2001, 08:52 PM
The Facility

I see this happen everyday with streetbikes and least a couple a month with ATVs. While I don't think it was your fault, It is your responsibility to fix all the problems. Whether or not the plastic was scratched before doesn't matter. Just ask an insurance rep. Just be lucky the guy hasn't and doesn't decide to sue you for the damages because even with the fact of the sticking throttle he will win.

Old 11-03-2001, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you had to move his bike you should of pushed it, but if you had to drive it and the throttle sticks, you should be sueing him. you dont owe him anything if his throttle sticks. If he is tryin to pull a fast one on ya then he isn't your friend. I would say take what i have to offer or take me to court and the problem will just go away. If he took you to court and won you would be able to make payments that are suitable to your income anyway. I would talk to his parents too and see what they think. If they are reasonable people and believe the throttle stuck, you will be well with them. Good Luck

Old 11-03-2001, 11:16 PM
Range Rover

Wow its been a long time since ive been here everything is changed. Anyhow the kid is 12 hes not supposed to be riding the quad anyhow so i dont think anything would go in court so i wouldnt really worry about it but i dont know i could be wrong

Old 11-04-2001, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Well Im definately getting mixed opinions here. Im planning on putting a new grabbar, and lever on it because those were fine before i wrecked and i know that for a fact. And i dont have a problem with that, cause thats only 40 or 50 bucks. The front rim is whats expensive. Gosh dang factory parts are expensive. well anyway, I tried to explaine to him about why he should accept my rim, instead of me buying a 130 dollar one from honda. Anyway, it went like this:

Alright, lets say i buy a 1987 blaster for $500. You ask if you can ride it, I let you, and you total the machine into a tree. Well, do you now have to buy me a 2002 blaster, just to replace it with a new one. I dont think so.

Wouldnt that apply to the rim as well? I bent his "descent looking used rim" so I put on my "better looking used rim" It is still a step up from his old one, but it isnt new. Get where im going with that?

Thanks

Old 11-04-2001, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Oh and another thing, im really trying to keep his family, him and me all as friends, but he has to be able to negotiate as well. Maybe your right jugallo, i should just give him a few days to cool off. But he rides about everyday, I'm pretty much keeping him from doing that longer if i wait.

Old 11-04-2001, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

well in that case i say you tell him he can have your old rim or nothing. if he still says no theres not really anything he can do about it. i'm sure his parents know about you wrecking it right? they would probably be the better ones to talk to about it as they would understand more about getting your old rim instead of a new one. or i could be wrong they might be dicks and want a new one too. in that case i say get one of those douglas rims for 50 bucks and he can have 1 rim that doesn't match but he still got his new rim.

i kinda know what your goin through. i "barrowed" my friends three wheeler without asking and now it might need a new top end and since i was the last to ride it he is blaming me for it. even tho i'm positive its from when he was running it lean a few weeks ago. i tried to explain that to him but he won't listen. he insists that it worked just fine before i took it (it worked perfectly fine for me when i used it and i wasn't hard on it or anything) but as soon as he got it back it was messed up. anyways i'm helpin him fix it cuz it could also just be a dirty carb which is what i'm hopin it is.

Quick Reply: a question on, what if i wreck my friends fourwheeler, please look