Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

lectric shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-1999, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a new 2000 450es but it quit the first time out. Dealer is getting a new part.
Anybody else had a problem??

I ride trails with rocks...do I need new/different bash plate/s or other protection??

TIA for the help

wild_bill

Old 11-03-1999, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 99 and haven't had any problems with the "lectric" shift. As far as bash plates and stick guards go.. I got mine from Aluminum Products (on the web) I got both the bash plate and the stick guards for $68 shipped to my house. Man are they ever heavy duty..... and light. I think there 1000times better than what comes stock. Hope this helps

Brad

------------------
FOREMANes

99'FOREMANes The REAL KING of the Jungle

Old 11-03-1999, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2000 450ES that had problems with the ES program and speedometer.Both problems I had were related to the speedo sensor which failed when stressed for a good 2-3 hour ride but when cool operated without problem.My symptoms were the ES would stop shifting and "lock up" in gear and the speedometer would act irratically when ridden hard for a good couple of hours.Both problems would occur at the same time.I would have to turn the ignition off and back on again to reset the ES but the problem would reoccur sometimes immediately or within a few minutes.The Honda technician was unable to find any problems with the sensor as it tested normally.He replaced it anyways after about the third time in the shop and I haven't had a problem since.I felt like I should have gotten the 450S when I started having all the trouble but since I've been using the ES without fail for the last couple of months, I'm glad I have it.I really like the full floor boards for the added footing/stability when leaning the quad at severe angles.
As far as rocky riding,go for the added piece of mind with a full length skid plate.There are a few different manufacturers out there so shop around.I installed PRM Products rear swingarm plate,full length chassis skid plate,and their bash plate.They were the most affordable and really easy to deal with.I also installed the Oxlite boot protectors which do a real good job protecting the A-arms as well.Crawling over huge stumps,logs,rocks,you name it,I'm no longer wincing every time I hear a loud scrape.Best of luck to you.

2000 450ES Red.

Old 11-04-1999, 06:27 AM
Pro Rider

I've got a Red 2000 450es , no problem yet and I've got on 900 klm (approx. 700Mi.) , 120 hrs. I solved the skid plate problem by making one myself out of 3/16" teflon, it slids over rocks and brush real easy and doesn't build up with mud .

------------------
Ride the "WILD" country , South Gillies, Ontario, Canada

Old 11-04-1999, 09:49 AM
Rod
Trailblazer

Greetings,

I have a 98 ES and while I don't have real problems I do have a few inconveniences. My quad sits for about three weeks then gets ridden for two days then sits for another three weeks. So about half the time the battery is down and I have to use the pull starter. Presumably the recall will fix this, but I haven't taken it in yet.

Also, when I first start out, especially when its cold, the shifter hangs in first for about a minute. After rolling about 50 yards or so it will shift into 2nd and then is OK. I suspect it has something to do with getting the fluids distributed or up to pressure following the three-week layoff, but I confess to having no real technical information to draw on for my conclusion.

Finally, if I shut it off in gear, it gets all confused and I have to use the transmission wrench (whatever they call it) to get it back to neutral -- and sometimes this takes a bit of rocking and cursing. Oddly enough, it does this a lot less now (aside from the fact that I've acquired the habit of returning it to neutral). When it does get shut off in gear, I'm much more likely to reach neutral electronically.

But on balance, the machine has been just great. Floor boards are important to me for work situations and brush/mud deflection. The electric shift also offers some real advantages when working -- like easing the quad ahead while standing beside it.

Lately I've been opening some semi-improved trails up a mountain side and its been great at crawling over rocks and logs. Even on steep, wet hillsides the 4-wheel drive rarely kicks in and its overall a very stable platform for exploring.

So that's the view from the Rod-Scope this morning.

Thanks,

Rod [98 450ES ... and its yellow]

Old 04-12-2005, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lectric shift

Originally posted by: BigRed450
I've got a Red 2000 450es , no problem yet and I've got on 900 klm (approx. 700Mi.) , 120 hrs. I solved the skid plate problem by making one myself out of 3/16" teflon, it slids over rocks and brush real easy and doesn't build up with mud .

------------------
Ride the "WILD" country , South Gillies, Ontario, Canada
so how'd ya make 'em? where'd ya get the Tefllon? how hard to cut, and with what? Cost? i've been looking but there's only this over-priced guy from atvcharlies in Nova Scotia.