Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Slow 450es

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2000, 12:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have recently been riding with some 450es and i find that they lag behind alot on my 300ex I also ride with a recon and was wondering what the speed differences on the 450es and the recon are

Mine is by far not a stock machine but the 450es still is very slow

DG_300EX
98_300ex with tons of DG mods

Old 02-03-2000, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 450ES and you're right.They are on the slower side. Different quad altogether from your 300EX.Mine is loaded w/ skid plates/winch/tools/etc which also bog it down.I ride with a friend who has a stock one and his is a bit quicker than mine.My top speed is about 48mph. I can get to about 50 on a slight decline but thats it. Most of my riding is in 2nd and 3rd gear while climbing.Couldn't do 4th and 5th gear wide open where I ride mostly but on the open roads it would be nice to get up to about 60mph.I don't care to be passed up by other quads w/ less engine displacement but thats just the way she goes. Hoping that the Rubicon will be a lot faster.Thinking about that one next.

Old 02-03-2000, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

I had a recon befor I got my 450

The recon went about 42-44mph, and my 450 I can barely pull 50mph out of, again different machines, different purposes.

Old 02-03-2000, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

You all are right, the 450es is alot slower bike. You got to keep in mind the 450 is geared low for torque, not top end. Anyway who the hell wants to go fast with a machine made for mud.

Old 02-06-2000, 06:17 PM
Range Rover

I just wanted to say that the polaris magnum 500 will kill the 450es it is pretty fast and it can out pull it RIGHT?

Old 02-06-2000, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

DG_300EX
The polaris is a fine machine, its faster and pulls with all four wheels, but when compared to the 450 it depends on what terrain that you want to have your contest on. In the mud they run pretty close but because the polaris is a true 4 wheel drive it has the edge. put them in the water
and the 450 will out go the polaris even due to belt slippage. Even if you put a snorkle on the polaris they just don't seem to hold up in those conditions. They both are good bikes.

Old 02-20-2000, 07:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother got our 450ES up to 52, or 53mph, as indicated on the speedo. The polarises have problems when ridden at high speeds, being that you can't pass some one. The tranny down shifts when ever the slightest bit of resistance is detected. I have experenced this first hand, I would follow my brother on another polaris, and we have a trail that has all the grass wore off that's 1/2 mile long. As you are behind him on the dirt, getting a little less wind resistance you are gaining. When you are 3 feet from his rear bumper you pull out and try to pass, and as you hit the grass, and the wind, the speed you were pulling up to him with leaves you before you even pull even with the other quad. All you can do is wait pull back in and do nothing. But Hondas pull steady, letting you rev as you hit the grass, and letting you make the pass, and they don't get slower with age as fast as polarises. The 300EX is faster than the 450, but unless you are in an area where you can run wide open it doesn't matter.

Old 02-21-2000, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Think about it dude...You take your 300ex (which if i am not mistaken) is built for racing conditions? And match it against a 450ES which is built fo utility and pulling and other kind of tough work. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why they are slow. My dad owns one and it only gets 50 on really dry pavement. most utility quads without tons of mods can only do that. My Atc 200s can take my dad Foreman on take off because its built for it. The foreman has that low first gear job which makes it slower.

200s

Old 02-23-2000, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

Yes every Honda 450 ES seems to run about the same speed. Honda has incorporated an electronic rev limiter into the ignition system, so you can bore it out, pipe it etc. etc and it will only do the same top speed. I am surprised that some enterprising person hasn't come up with a chip for these machines since there are so many out there in the market. (Are you listening White Bros.?

Old 02-25-2000, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

yep..magnum 5oo's pulled me out of rack deep mud..thanks! ....however 1 had elec problems and couldn'd finish the day.I had to tow the other one back to camp.. radiator plugged with mud and overheated..(more high tech.) Also trick disc brakes when dirty make such a racket!When Polaris riders want to ride fast its always on open trails..when its my turn to lead I look for steep hills with lots of stumps,rocks,logs etc. The steeper the better!! With such good friends and ideas we always have interesting rides!!
From the great white north.. rapidly turning muddy!!!

Quick Reply: Slow 450es