Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

need extended warranty on 2002 400ex?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a buddy that is buying a 2002 400ex tomorrow. I'm a honda two stroke guy and don't know much about the honda 4 strokes. Should he buy the extended warranty or rely on the honda reliability reputation? What does he need to watch on this bike? Are there any parts that wear out fast on these? What are the weak or bad points about the bike? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Old 12-04-2001, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

NO. The bike comes with a 6 month warranty. Thats plenty time to fix any bugs from the factory.

The warranty is 500$ If I remember correctly when I bought mine.
That Honda is NOT going to require 500 bucks in repairs that a warranty will cover
in 4 years. It is not worth it at all.

IF something happens to the honda within 4 years that costs more that 500 bucks to fix, then it was probably the riders fault and the warranty wont cover it anyway. (crash, and bashed up plastic for example, or hit a tree and breaking an A-arm will not be covered... it was YOUR fault you crashed!!)

Not worth it.

-Matt

Old 12-04-2001, 02:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

before i got my shocks and aarms and stuff i did some crazy jumping on my stock 400 at the track. my friends call me Dana ( derived from Dana Creech the guy from the huevos movies) i guess cause i jump big or somthin. well anyway i guess it caught up to me because about a year after i got the quad the frame broke in 4 places around he shock mounts. a new one is 500 bux but honda bought me a new one for free but they bought nothing else. my plastic was messed up but with enough zip ties it is alright , my a arms were broken , and my shocks were bent. the welds on the stock frames look like crap and i think mine was cacked from the start becuase the day it broke there was rust spots on the boken surfaces. if his happens to him and he whines and crys enough like me honda would prolly do the same for him and this is the only thing that has messed up on my ex since i got it a year and a half ago. i think the extended warrenty is a bad idea because then you have to wait 4 years to make modifications to it. hope this helps.

casey