Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450's in general (again)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-1999, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get your mier skid plate from? I want one but havn't been able to find one.. Cabela's had one listed but no part#, and when I called them they said that they did not have one for the 450. One of the things you might want to check out is www.aluminumproducts.com they have got some really cool bash/stick guards, their heavy duty, light and look really good. As far as the H.L. high performance kit, look up Gordon Banks, he has one on his and said that it was worth the money. I know for me its next.

Thanks

------------------
FOREMANes

99'FOREMANes The REAL KING of the Jungle

Old 11-10-1999, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

My dad has a 98 Honda ForemanES with 1200 miles on it. Had a problem with the battery being drained when it sat for over a week or so, but the recall fixed that, no other problems. Works great!

Old 11-10-1999, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer

I did get it from Cabela's Part# XK-52-0321 then I told them it was a Honda 450.Price was $44.99. I think it said it was the same one that fits the 300. I also ordered the Utility pack for the back rack which was to big so I sent it back and I'm having one made for 1/2 the price.

------------------
Stump '99 Foreman S

[This message has been edited by Stump (edited 11-10-1999).]

Old 11-10-1999, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

Did you have any problems mounting it. I remember something from a forum a while back that someone had got one for the 400 that was supossed to fit, but it took some pretty big modifications to make it work. any info would be great.

Brad

------------------
FOREMANes

Old 11-10-1999, 05:26 PM
Trailblazer

No it was a breeze. It came with about 7 " P Clamps" and then 2 longer 8mm bolts, with directions on where to place the clamps and everything lined right up. Remove the two rear original plate bolts then start them and the rest was fairly simple. Just remember that those rear plate bolts are in at a slight angle so you need to be careful not to cross thread them. Took maybe 30 minutes or so. You leave the original plate on, I guess since this one is that flex/hard plastic.

I want to make mine so you can start in any gear. I was told to find the yellow wire running from the starter to the tranny then ground it. Do I need to cut this wire or just bypass it some way or what ?

------------------
Stump '99 Foreman S

[This message has been edited by Stump (edited 11-10-1999).]

Old 11-10-1999, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Stump:
Is there a particular reason why you need your machine to start in gear? I've heard of alot of people who modify their machines to start in gear, but why would you want, or need to? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen, unless you instal a switch to bypass the neutral SAFTEY switch for when you need it to start in gear.

------------------
Ride the "WILD" country , South Gillies, Ontario, Canada

[This message has been edited by BigRed450 (edited 11-10-1999).]

Old 11-11-1999, 09:24 AM
Trailblazer

No particular reason. I've just been on ones that you can and prefer it that way. The switch would be perfect I may try it that way.

------------------
Stump '99 Foreman S

Old 11-11-1999, 01:42 PM
TDS
Weekend Warrior

Stump

You can either cut it or bypass it. Its up to you. It would probably be less messy just to bypass it.

PS Make sure that you have the right wire. I've heard that the wiring colors are not written in stone and do change. But the main point is that the tranny switch for the 450 Honda has two wires. One for neutral and one for reverse. You want to bypass the neutral to ground and this will enable the motor to start in any gear. Look this up in the owners manual or trace the wiring back to the starter. The reverse goes to the gauges and the neutral will have a branch that goes to the starter solinoid. The only safety issue I've found is that maybe when the motor is cold, start it in neutral so you can rev it a bit if needed.

[This message has been edited by TDS (edited 11-11-1999).]

Old 11-19-1999, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Well just to let everyone know that I got my "BUGS" today... and WOW is about all I can say, they are a meaner tire than what the pictures give credit..the traction is unbelievable, we have some pretty nasty climbs around my house, and where I could barely make it up before...now I can just idle up it in second or stop half way down and just back, back up. I noticed that it is a bit harder to turn in off camber situations but they ride great on hard pack. The 26"ers fit great w/out a lift in fact I think 27's might to. Anyways I am very pleased with them...and it makes my quad look a hole ell' of alot meaner, and can back that up..

Brad

------------------
FOREMANes

Old 11-20-1999, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

My freind with a 450s has 27 inch Mud Bugs and he doesn't have a lift kit.

Quick Reply: 450's in general (again)