Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450's in general (again)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-1999, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the last one got blow away so I thought I would start one. One of the things I would like to know is what tire or other mods have you made, what problems you had, and are you happy with the results.

I have a 99' yellow 450es with aluminum products bash plate/ stick guards. Right now I am shopping around and trying to decide what kind of tires I want to put on it (the stock ones suck!!) I have a SuperWinch w/50ft of cable on it, and gun rack on the machine right now, and in the "cubby hole" I carry a tree strap, block and tackle, 20'rope, and a few other misc items.

Hope to hear from all of ya'

------------------
FOREMANes

99'FOREMANes The REAL KING of the Jungle

Old 11-04-1999, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

I've have a 98 450 es with 26 inch mudrunners on it and highlifter bash plate and full length skid plate.I have a warn 2000 winch, Also equiped with the back buddy for long rides. I had the battery drain problem that was repaired by the recall, otherwise its been a great machine, 1200 miles so far.

[This message has been edited by djlewis (edited 11-03-1999).]

Old 11-04-1999, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

I have a red 2000 450ES with 900 klm (approx. 700 mi.) and have had no trouble at all so far. So far the only extras are a full teflon skid pan and a tool box on the back rack for all my gear.

------------------
Ride the "WILD" country , South Gillies, Ontario, Canada

Old 11-04-1999, 10:54 AM
Range Rover

I have a yellow 2000 ES. It has a highlifter lift kit, 27x12x12 Vampires on the rear and 27X10x12 Vampires on the front (all are mounted on stock rims). I have also installed a rear back up light (works off toggle switch only) and installed a toggle switch on the handlebar mounted headlight so that it can be turned off when carrying things on the front rack. I also have a Cajun Dri-Store box mounted on the back rack. So far I have not had any problems, (unlike my Grizzly) but then again it is a Honda!

A buddy of mine has yellow 1999 ES with 27X12x12 Vampires (stock rims) all the way around with no lift and the tires fit fine without rubbing.

Some of the other Foremans we ride with are snorkeled, lifted, big Vampires, and the front differentials are locked, but one of them runs 27x12x12 vamps in front and then runs (4) 27x10x12's in the rear. Meaning they have 2 tires on each side of the rear, like a big dually truck. He has added extra floatation in the front (rubber buoys, etc) and has a trolling motor in the back. This guy can actually float across water while sitting on the machine. It's pretty wild to watch, but I'll stick with my setup, they tend to break a lot of stuff.

Old 11-05-1999, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Well I did it today!! Went down to the local bike shop and ordered a set of MUD BUGS. Man are they a evil looking tire!! I got 26x12x12 on the Rear and 26x10x12 on the front, all mounted on ITP crome and black rimes. I got it all for $650 not to bad? At least I don't think sooo... Can't wait they should be here next week..

Cya'

------------------
FOREMANes

Old 11-08-1999, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

FOREMANes
Let us know how the Mud Bugs work for you. What's all this I hear about dead batteries and shifting problems on the ES? I've had no such probems, or any problem for that matter.

------------------
Ride the "WILD" country , South Gillies, Ontario, Canada

Old 11-08-1999, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

I'll let everyone know how the tires are...should get them this week. Do you guys think $650 was a fair deal, I know that highlifter wanted $760 delivered. As far as the battery drain thing, I believe that it was mainly on the 98' machines where they had this problem. I got a recall statement around a month ago but havn't taken mine in yet. It has something to do with the electric shift draining juice from the battery when the machine is just sitting around (which mine never is).

Cya'

------------------
FOREMANes

Old 11-10-1999, 11:07 AM
Trailblazer

Forman,

Did you have to lift yours to get the 26" tires on ?

Old 11-10-1999, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

I am supposed to get them Friday....but when I talked to HIGHLIFTER about these tires and size, they told me that the 26' would fit with out a problem, and that I could even mount them on my stock rims. I chose not to do that because I still wanted my stock wheels and tires for riding in the summer (so I don't where these out) so I ordered a set of ITP chrome and black rims (which also shold look killer!) to mount these on. I ended up not ordering these from HIGHLIFTER because they wanted around $100 more than my local bike shop. Hope this helps, and I let you know how I like them (hopefully by friday
Brad

Old 11-10-1999, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

I've got a '99 450s That is pretty stock right now. Maier skid plate is about it at the moment. Looking at the Highlifter High Peformance kit around the first of '00. Does anybody have that ?? If so how did it do for you. Also looking at some different tires.

------------------
Stump '99 Foreman S

Quick Reply: 450's in general (again)