Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What brand of motor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 01:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to go to the Polaris dealer and buy Polaris brand oil and filters for my quad. I had more money in an oil change for my quad than what I would have in changing oil in my truck. After a few years I decided to use Castrol oil from the local Walmart instead, the Po is still running so I guess it was an ok move. It also saved me a few bucks and possible jail time because getting anyone at the Polaris dealer to wait on you was an exercise in frustration.

Now that I have added two Hondas to my "fleet" I am faced with the same choice, should I go to Honda and buy Honda brand oil for what I am sure is super inflated cost or does " off the shelf" oil offer the same protection? I certainly don't mind paying for a superior product if indeed it is. I also don't expect the same tratment from the Honda dealer because they are a "first class" operation. I'm curious as to how the rest of you do it?

Old 12-31-2001, 03:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone on another board recently offered me this advice for my new Honda:

"Remember to check the oil. Use non-friction additive oil, either Yamalube or Honda. The Honda Non-friction additive oil container isn't clearly labeled, the Yamahalube is so you won't make the mistake of buying or using the wrong stuff. The wrong oil will ruin your clutch. If the parts counter guy gets the oil for you, stop by the service desk on your way out and double check with the service manager to insure you got the right stuff. No such thing as a dumb question. I'm sure we could get zillions of stories from people in this forum who were blindly led astray by parts counter people.
Also, change the oil or have it changed according to the maint schedule in the owners manual. Always keep a quart of the right oil on hand so you can top off your res."