Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2000, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wanted to know what the downside of the 400ex is? Like what problems are they known for? i know that they don't have reverse and all. I heard that they break easy is that true or not?

Old 02-08-2000, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Haven't broke anything on mine yet. The biggest jump I have gone over starts off as a 6ft high jump that drops down to about 4 ft as a tabletop for 34 ft. At that point, it slopes back down to level at 47ft. I always try to land on a down ramp and at that point, don't even feel it landing. I went 49 feet ONCE. It hurt considering at peak height, the tires are above 10ft up. I have video where I parked my Explorer on the side of the ramp. I could clear it with ease. However, I was doing this jump with the Warrior, too. Since it is a tabletop jump, it is impossible to case it or come up short.

Old 02-08-2000, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

I forgot, my swingarm skidplate is roughed up a little from trailriding, but it is not broken, just bent a little.

Old 02-08-2000, 01:52 AM
Trailblazer

Nope - not even. Obviously you've never owned a Honda... Get used to it ! I have owned all from the 200x 250x 300ex 400ex .... Gas was my biggest expense. (aside from all the accessories I buy for the thing).

Ride RED kid.

Old 02-08-2000, 02:47 AM
Trailblazer

I messed up the floor boards on mine by ramming into a stump. The plastic just pulled over a bolt head. Thats what plastic will do when you leave it no where else to go.
I made about a 30 yard jump this weekend and endoed. I was wide open in 3rd gear. I now can't walk because it landed upside down on my legs and then bounced off into another flip. All that resulted in damages is the plastic cracked on the left side of the gas tank. Just a cover, not the tank its self. I'ed say its tough!

Old 02-08-2000, 03:21 AM
Trailblazer

I bought a '99 Warrior. Went to Little Sahara and decided that hunting and fishing with the use of a Warrior was not as important as having fun in the sand, so I sold It and bought a 2000 400ex.
Let me see, hum..: I know, It has way more POWER!
Its THROTTLE RESPONE blows away a Warrior. IT out HANDLES by far. It WHEELIES like a dream and responds to throttle while wheelying like a 2 stroke. JUMPING, you can definitely feel a weight difference. SUSPENSION, my Warrior was my first sport quad and I felt the suspension was nice untill I started jumping and it always bottomed out. The shocks didn't get stiffer as they were compressed. "Strange". 400ex These shocks allow me to jump so much higher before worrying about pained feet! Stock TIRES are bad boys, my only complaint is that I don't feel there is an aftermarket tire worthy for replacement when mine wear out. BRAKING wow!, I did an endo on level ground (dirt and grass) by mashing the front braked. Not a complete end over end, but the fun king like on a free-style bike.SHIFTING, my toes would kill me from upshifting 2 days on my Warrior. Warriors are somtimes hard to get in neutral and hard to shift from 1st to 2nd w/o locking in neutral. These are not promblems on the HONDA it shifts ultra smooth. I am 155 lbs. 5'08" tall and it sure fits me better than the warrior. LOOKS, I thought the Warrior looked cool when I had mine, but now I see Warriors and think they are cheesy looking. The 400 just looks damn good. CHAIN Adjustment: don't know if you adjusted your Warrior, but it is a pathetic set up. The 400 chain adjustment can be done with the tools that come with it. and it just makes sense to be so easy. Since it's something that needs to be done fairly often on quads.AIR BOX, The Air filter attatchment seals it off the way it should, I uses a hose clamp around a rubber boot. A warrior, as you know has no garuantee that is is sealed off. How stupid. When you buy a UNI filter for a 400ex it is a nice filter, but a UNI for a Warrior is total crapp.

My complaints: 1> grab bar on the 400ex is part of the subframe. WHAT were they thinking. It isn't interchangable with aftermarket grab bars.
2. I didn't start having accidents untill I got my 400ex. I am over confident in it for my capabilites. It is so much easier to ride than a Warrior that it made me think that I'm really good. thats not the case because I keep trying tricks beyond my skill. You never want to do that. I cracked my collar bone a month ago and this saturday I had the wreck I mentioned. Won't be able to walk for a week or so.
P.S. go to www.hearlandhonda.com Springdale, AR They sell 2000 400ex' new for $5,130 plus tax. I bought mine there for $5250. I drove 8 hours round trip to do so they didn't jerk me around and everything they said over e-mail and phone, they stood by.

Old 02-08-2000, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

Me and a friend have both broken our swingarms on ours....it the same spot. (we blast a 75' step up) I have a +1 chromemolly one on the way. Other than that its been great. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Mr_400eX

Old 02-08-2000, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

Me and a friend have both broken our swingarms on ours....it the same spot. (we blast a 75' step up) I have a +1 chromemolly one on the way. Other than that its been great. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Mr_400eX

Old 02-08-2000, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer

Hey onewldcat,
That price for a 2000 400EX sounds great, but the website you listed doesn't exist. Is there a typo?

Old 02-08-2000, 05:07 PM
Range Rover

Starting it is a b*tch, the nice plastic gets scratched very easy, the torque isn't there in the mid to upper range, and the tires are very soft, meaning they puncture easy. Its a little harder than it needs to be to slide it.

Quick Reply: 400ex