Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250R Chewing up pistons

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-1999, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contrary to want has been said if your quad was jetted right before you bored it you will probably have to lean it out a little after you bore it and it is broke in. The reason for this is when you bore a cylinder you are actually making the transfers smaller and and they won't handle as much fuel flow. I have a ported 250R cylinder and a ported LA Sleeve 310 both by LRD and my 250 cylinder actually has richer jetting in it then my 310. Same carb(PWK), V-Force Reed cage, and LRD pipe. I have to run a DEJ needle in the 4th clip and a 192 main in the 250 and a DEJ needle in the 3rd clip and a 180 main with the 310. Check out Eric Gorrs website for more info on jetting when you increase the bore size.

Good Luck
JC TRX250R

------------------

Old 11-11-1999, 04:58 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Killefitt you were right not to mess with the holes on the head gasket, because it is due to more cooling up front (engine is hotter on the exhaust side). But I have never seen holes in a base gasket (except for the studs), not even stock Honda gaskets have slots or holes for coolant in the base gasket. There is only maybe 1/4-1/2 in depth in which coolent would hit hot the cases, besides they are not trying to cool the cases. If you feel there should be coolent there, thats fine, but I still see a possible problem (which I have seen before) from doing it doing it though.

Sometimes by altering a gasket where coolent comes in direct contact with it can produce a leak which is not good. especially if it leaks into the engine before leaking outside where you can see it. I've seen this happen when holes were drilled in a head gasket, because the gasket is cut and then coated with a sealer from the manufacture. If a hole is drilled or a cut is made into the gasket, coolent can then actually saturate the gasket, because there is nothing protecting the paper the gasket is made of on the edge of the cut, in tern ruining it and creating a leak. Even if onlt 2 small holes are drilled, as in this case, it can still ruin the gasket. I'm not talking a single leak either, coolent will enter all the way around the cylinder. So I would keep an eye on it, if you see any coolant collecting around the bottom of the cylinder, better replace the gasket (without modifying it). Also, burning antifreeze is a pretty distinct smell, so if you see white smoke or your exhaust smells funny, its worth a look in the engine to check it out.

But if you have no problems with it leaking, its all good. But I'd be suspicious myself, so just keep an eye on it.

Sickman

[This message has been edited by Sickman (edited 11-11-1999).]