Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 01:36 PM
REX
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1986 TRX250R ESR310

First, never had any problems with the clutch before this.
Last time at the dunes last trip out the clip came off the needle in the carb. Only way I could make it back was to rev the engine and ride the clutch and finally got back. One time on the way back when riding the clutch something caught somewhere and caused the kick starter to slam forward, this only happened once and never figured out what caused that or if it has anything to do with the problem now.
Got home and pulled the clutch and the plates were discolored from the heat, the fibers looked ok, but I had new clutch and decided to put in, new plates and new fiber plates.
After installation the clutch was slipping real bad. Since then I have replaced the following which has helped but not fixed the problem.
Put in new Hinson clutch basket, new inner clutch drum, new fiber plates (again), new clutch springs, added washers under spring bolts. I have pulled the clutch shaft and checked it, checked the clearance with no clutch cable attached and it has about 1/8" free play. I run a Magura hydraulic clutch, but have tried the original clutch cable with no difference there.
It pulls hard through first 3 gears, then you start noticing slipping in 4, worse in 5 and 6. I am lost, don't know where to look anymore, the only part I have not changed is the pressure plate, but cant see anything wrong with it, and it was new less than 1 year ago coming with the 88-89 clutch update kit.
I am running Bel-Ray Gear saver 90 oil.
Any ideas?

Old 01-27-2002, 05:21 PM
REX
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, took the advice of Jaybo and pulled the steel plates out, put them on concrete floor and scratched them up. This has seamed to fix the problem. It now runs like it should. Thanks,Jaybo