Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon 500 owners-opinion please

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi to you all from Donegal in Ireland

I currently own a Foreman 450, and use it daily in my farming business.
No fun and games, just pure hard graft.
It has behaved admirably since I got it in 2000, absoloutly no problems except a battery which had to be replaced outside warranty. It has served me well and given no trouble.
However, I have always had doubts about that so called limited slip diff on the front.
When the going really gets tough, for example mud or snow while pulling a load, one wheel on the front will spin and if this was a true lsd, the other wheel should be biting as well. With my experience with other 4wd vehicles, tractor, jeep, with lsd one front wheel might make one turn in a spin but the other will always kick in and grip will be established again. Friends of mine report the same problem.
I'm thinking of trading up to the 500 Rubicon as they have just become available here.
I need a bit more grunt, clearance and room.
Is it afflicted with the same problem?
How durable is the bike in day to day use, and I don't mean running into things.
Do you think it could stand up to heavy draft work in really mean weather conditions.
I look after my bikes well and are always power washed and well maintained.
After almost 3 years heavy work, my 450 could sit in any showroom next to a new one.
Has the Rubicon got what it takes to take the place of my faithful steed?
A lot of you good folks use yours for fun, but I need a machine I can depend on night and day in all weather.
Apart from the grip problem, my 450 is dependable but I think after 4000Km heavy work, it is time to move on.
Let me know what you all think.
Is Honda likely to release a 500 with the switchable 4wd/2wd system shortly?
I'm not interested in the 650 as it is totally automatic, I need the option of manual gears and a solid rear axle for towing.

Best wishes

Gerard the farmer

Old 02-05-2002, 07:42 AM
Trailblazer

I have had my Rubicon about 9 months and ride it every day pretty much. The front differential works very good as long as the wheels are on the ground. I have had it a couple of times when only one front wheel was touching the ground and it sends the power to the wheel not touching but as long as both front wheels are touching it sends power to both front wheels 99% of the time. I have pulled a car out that was stuck and all four wheels pulled the whole time digging four holes. It has a lot of low end power. I love mine and would not trade it for any other quad on the market now. It is very dependable and the traction it gets in mud is amazing. The hill climbing ability is great and the center of gravity is extremly low giving great stability. I don't think any quad made today is as good of quality as the Rubicon and you don't have to worry about a belt getting wet or slipping. I know everbody has an opinion but this is mine. Get the Rubicon you won't be sorry.
Steve

Old 02-05-2002, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

The 2003 Rubicon's that will there in June will have 2/4wd option on them.I am sure the Rubicon would be great for work !

Old 02-05-2002, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

gerardthefarmer,

I'm not bashing Honda, so don't take this post the wrong way. I've ridden with 2 different Rubicons, and they don't seem to downshift under a load very well. In order to get them to down shift quickly, you have to let off the throttle and stab it again. The times I've seen this happen was running hard into a mud hole, and they would want to stall out from not downshifting quick enough. Whether or not this would affect you, I don't know. Maybe running in the shift mode would alleviate this problem.

This last weekend, a Rubicon with 589 tires on it (bike about 6 months old, good condition) tore the rear u-joint out in a mud hole. I don't think this is typical of Honda ATV's, as they usually seem to be very durable, but it did happen on this bike. What was strange was that it didn't seem to be under a super great load. Several other atv's had made it through the hole, but the Rubicon didn't even make it to the place that everybody was getting hung up at. Surely it was a manufacturing defect and Honda will take care of the guy.

One other thing to consider is how the Rubicon's transmission is electronically controlled. I'm sure it is a good design, and most probably don't have problems. It's just that it is a departure from your current mechanical tranny in the 450.

I don't believe Honda has cured the front diff design, although it may be marginally better than what you currently have. I saw the Rubicon last weekend go into 3-wheel mode more than once, and the tire that was always spinning was the one without traction.

If your 450 is in as good of condition as you state, you might would be best off to keep it and install a detroit locker from Highlifter. I believe they are offering free installation with the $350+ purchase of the locker. It is supposed to allow the bike to retain easy steering, with full lockup in limited traction situations.

Waylan

Old 02-05-2002, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

If you run your Rubicon in Low auto or in ESP when pulling a heavy load in any conditions you wont have any problems with it bogging down. As for the ESP it works great. I like it better than shifting with my foot. If you want more opinions go over to the High Lifter forum and ask there.

Old 02-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have had my Rubicon one year already done just about everything to it. From pushing snow or dirt to pulling a trailer[weighs 200lbs] loaded with sand or wood. Even winched logs over 40 inches wide 8 ft long. Even got it buried in a marsh once, winched it out, still runs great! Had it on the trails up to 52mph. I would not trade it for anything. It's a great bike!

Old 02-06-2002, 02:14 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

walexa is correct, it dosent shift down very well when floored in high range, I have run out of power on steep hills as it feels like a 450S stuck in 3rd gear. and it has stalled after doing cookes while spinning the tires then letting off quiclky.
Yes, it to is 3WD but works a tad better than the 450. Steering would be super tough if honda put a true 4wd limited slip in it.
I have never even came cloose to breaking a U joint- I have smooked all 4 off on dry pavement while pulling a friends 30' 5,000lb travel trailler out of the shop in low range with no problems!

Old 02-06-2002, 05:33 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all your comments.
Keep them coming.
Just reinstalled windows xp.
Will post longer response later.
Thanks.

Old 02-06-2002, 11:47 AM
Trailblazer

I am a new Rubicon owner who is very pleased with the machine. I owned several Honda's before from the 300's to the 400's and 450's. I use mine mainly for hunting Elk and Deer in the high country of Colorado, plus trail riding in Ky. I hunt on top of a mountain and in the past put a high altitude jet in the carburator to get rid of the loading up problem at high altitude. This year my Honda mechanic said I didn't have to do that because the Rubicon had a compensating sensor that would adjust automaticaly for the thin air of the high country. She also gave me a 800 number to call if I needed assistence while on the mountain and the new feature didn't work properly. It worked perfectly, I buzzed up that mountain ( an 8 mile run at approx. 25% ) without a hitch. As were my past Honda's the Rubicon is a winner. Good riding.

Old 02-06-2002, 02:59 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

the altitdude compensating isnt automatic, you still have to turn the screw on the carb (not the air screw) like most other hondas. The rubicon just donset mind running a tad rich or lean. I have used mine rougher than most with no problems- Only time I have the problem with it not shifting down is when rideing agressivly and hitting nearly verticle hills that will bog any quad! I have used mine everywhere between 0 and 12,000 feet. Had to hit the primer on a zero degree day once though
Joe

Quick Reply: Rubicon 500 owners-opinion please