Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Trx 250r or Lt500r?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002 | 08:49 PM
|
Trailblazer

I want to sell my raptor because of the damn monthly payments!
So I need your help,Should i buy a trx 250r or a lt500r?
I love to go fast!
I love to jump!
and i love to be able to kill banshees and other fast bikes in drag races!
So what do you think?

Old 02-12-2002 | 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

For extreme fast go with the 500
For jumping go with the 250R
For dragging go with the 500

It basically comes down to what do you do more of and what do you look for in a quad? Handling, extreme power? which one is more important? A 250R is defiantly no slug they can be built to go extremely fast but they can't touch a built quadzilla.

Old 02-12-2002 | 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

i'd go with the R, ever hear of anyone complaining about them? i rest my case [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2002 | 12:51 AM
Range Rover

can you race mx on a lt 500??

Old 02-13-2002 | 05:42 AM
Pro Rider

Get an LT. You rarely see realy nice LTs anymore. Bild one of those and u will be unstopable n the straights and the hill climbs. Good luck..

Old 02-13-2002 | 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

Get the R, no questions about it. Just look at all the aftermarket products for the R as compared to the LT. Heck, there are aftermarket companies that were created that are making products just for the R, do you see that for the LT???? ESR is a perfect example!! An '86 R weighs only 320 lbs., put a 310 or 330 kit on it, now your pumping out 50HP, you're going to blow away 99% of all other competitors in a drag race, plus you still have the lightest, most agile, best handling quad ever built to kill all competition in MX!!

Old 02-13-2002 | 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

Get the R. The LT 500s have a ton of problems, these are not minor problem either, we are talking cheap nuts, bolts and bearings used in the crank and transmission. I read an article a few months ago in DWheels I think, where they explained the problems in detail. It required almost $2,000 worth of engine work just to get some reliability.

Another factor is the weight, these things weigh about 500 lbs, too heavy for most types of riding especially MX.

The final problem is starting it, it is a bear to start. Most of the ones I have seen have to be towed by another quad to push start it.

Old 02-13-2002 | 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

Where did you come up with the Quadzilla weighing 500 pounds? 392 pounds. LT500 specs

Old 02-13-2002 | 02:13 PM
Trailblazer

First off, LT500's do not have many problems. They are built well and require maintenance. You do not have to spend $2000 dollars to make them reliable. The main problem with them is the crank bearing bosses expand at a different rate than the bearings allowing them to move around and wreck the seals and burn up the motor. There are 2 fixes for this. Buy brand new Suzuki cases because they did fix this problem(more money), or have case inserts put in(less money). I had the case inserts put in and cost me $250. The other problem is with the 87 year only. They had 1 less head stud and non-tapered head studs. What would happen is the compression was higher on this model as well and would stretch the studs and eventually cause the head gaskets to blow. The fix for this is to replace the head studs with the newer tapered studs. This is what I did. Cost about $60. I have also heard running an o-ring head helps too, but I haven't tried this. These were the only 2 major problems with these and as you can see, can be fixed and do not cost $2000. Some other things you want to do is keep all the bearings well greased and go over all the nuts and bolts once in awhile and make sure they are tight. They are also not hard to start when jetted properly. It is truly amazing how people act like they know everything about this quad when they dont even have one to begin with. Sounds more like jealousy than anything. If you want to know any more info about these quads, let me know because I am finishing my ground up restoration of my 87 Zilla and have spent a tremendous amount of time and effort(and money) to get this thing looking like it just came from the factory and know a lot about these things.

Old 02-13-2002 | 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

<< Sounds more like jealousy than anything >>

thats exactly what I was thinking! I don't think people give the Zilla a chance, they only recognize that it is fast, but thats it.

Quick Reply: Trx 250r or Lt500r?