Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX clutch slippage

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-1999, 04:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone having problems with their clutches?? I was riding the oregon dunes this weekend pretty hard and about 3 or 4 times when I was climbing steep dunes in 2nd or 3rd gear, the bike would just pop out of gear and rev up like it was in neutral. I thought it was just because I hadn't shifted into gear all the way but most of the time when it happened I was in the same gear from when I started climbing the hill. Also it never happened anywhere else, just on the hills. I haven't ever experienced a slipping clutch so I don't know what its like, if that is the problem then what will fix it. Do I need a clutch basket from Hinson or stronger plates and springs, etc... Thanks for any help on this!!

Old 11-15-1999, 05:26 PM
Range Rover

I'm not sure what you have is a clutch problem. If you can answer a few questions, maybe I or someone else can help.

How many hours are on those plates?

When motor is off and "IN" gear, can you push it?

Have you tried adjusting the clutch? Also, where does the clutch engage, disengage? (ie. when the clutch lever is almost all the way out or close to the grip).

Sounds like your problem could be something other than plates if I understand you correctly. Is it jumping out of gear?

Old 11-15-1999, 05:52 PM
Range Rover

The plates have between 30-40 hours on them, I can't push the bike when in gear with the engine off, and the clutch engages after the lever is pulled in about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way in. The one time it did this on a hill after I had shifted from 3rd to 2nd I didn't feel a real positve click in the shift lever so maybe I am just shifting to fast and not getting it all the way into gear?? the other times I was in 3rd the whole way and it just gave out. I have no other shifting problems whatsoever

Old 11-16-1999, 03:33 PM
Range Rover

It sounds like you were trying to shif as fast as possible to get up a hill, and maybe you didnt pull the clutch all the way in. It also sounds like you may have too much play in the cluch if it only engages when the lever is pulled as far as 1/2 the pull available. If thats the case the cluch probably doesn't disengage enough and that can cause your shifting problems. For proper adjustment, the clutch should have a little play, I'd tighten up the cable and just as you no longer feel no more slack, back off a little to give it some and then give that a try. If the lever moves more than 1/8 of an inch from the perch before starting to engage the clutch, theres too much slack. Also I've heard that the 400EX will not shift under load as easy as the 250R. I'd play with it on flat ground a little and try to get used to how fast and much clutch is needed to shift it so you can get used to it.

Does it shift fine any other time, if so it sounds like a little more diliberate shifts are what is needed. But if it still shifts funny in other places and feels like it goes into neutral in higher gears like 4th on up, you may have tranny problems, possibly a bent fork or something like that.

Good Luck,

Sickman

Old 11-16-1999, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

Also try shifting without using the clutch, like I do. I only use the clutch for starting out when I'm stopped, but after that usually I won't use it to shift into the rest of the gears unless I'm drag racing or something.

Old 11-16-1999, 08:39 PM
Range Rover

Norm, are you using synthetic oil or sae?

Old 11-16-1999, 09:07 PM
Range Rover

Have you ever put any oil additives in the oil? like Duralube or Prolong .These can some times make your clutch slip under extreme touque because they greatly reduce friction on metal parts.also oils with silicons and teflons can cause the oil filters to plug up,I only use Honda synthetic oil in all my machines,including blasters,three wheelers,street bikes.I've never had a problem yet. If you do miss a shift or it jumps out of gear,let the engine rpms come back down instead of tring to jam it into gear again you'll only bend up the shift forks so it wont shift at all or tear out all the gears,try adjustin' the clutch and if it dont work take it to a professional before you need to rebuild the intire tranny,good luck

Old 11-17-1999, 06:02 AM
Range Rover

Rooster, will shifting without the clutch hurt the engine? I haven't tried shifting without it.

EXtreme, I do use Honda HP-4 10-40 synthetic blend, I think it has Moly in it also. The only reason I use it is because turning those paddle tires in the sand really gets the engine hot! I measured the oil temp with a meat thermometer that went to 220deg and the needle shot right past that up to I would say 250-275deg! I need all the protection from the oil I can get.

Old 11-17-1999, 06:08 AM
Range Rover

One more quick question, should I adjust the clutch to where it goes into neutral as soon as I pull on the lever and goes into gear right before the lever is out all the way?

By the way thanks to everyone for your help on this!!

Old 11-17-1999, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

Norm,
I posted on this subject a few months back. I also used HP4 synthetic blend for two changes. I switched back to GN4 because of clutch chatter (slippage) when lugging in 3rd gear on hills and through deep snow.

Quick Reply: 400EX clutch slippage