Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How old are you people anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 41. and I hope you guys don't mind if I ask a question. I see that there are some people who can relate to my age, but I will take advice from whoever is willing.
I have never been on an atv in my life and I'm about to buy one for my 9 yr old son and I.We live in CT, but plan on doing most of our riding on the logging trails in Maine where my wife's family have a place.
The following is where I am at:

son (4'6" 80 lbs) - leaning towards a raptor 80. he ofcourse likes the looks. I like the electric start. I wanted to get the honda 90 because I have herd it is better, but has coil start and son does not think it looks cool.

me (5' 10" 185 lbs)- first thing I have to say is that $ is an issue. I am buying 2 atv's at once and buying new, so I can finance some of the cost. So taking this in to consideration and that I wouldn't mind turning my wife on to it as well- I decided on a easy to learn, easy to maintain, but sporty 250ex. I am not looking to blast off and leave my son with the bears, so I think it will be fast enough. My real concern is that it will be to small of a machine. I sat on one at the dealer and felt it was big enough, but this is why I'm here. I really don't know what to do.

thanks!

Old 02-26-2002, 04:40 PM
RIP Dear Friend

250 ex is a real nice machine. If it was me I would have to go with the Honda 90EX though. There is not much suspension on the Raptor/badger 80. But if this is your sons first quad he won't care if it has rocks for suspension and the electric start is nice with shaft drive just like the 250EX.
Chet

Old 02-26-2002, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm 35, the other half is 35 also. Started on dirt bikes (Hodaka, Bultaco) way back when. Got away from toys for awhile, but just bought his and her's atvs this year. Hope to make a long time hobby of it.

Old 02-26-2002, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

i am 14, and have been riding for 4 years. i love it now. i get to know everything i can about 4-wheelers. GOTTA LOVE 4-WHEELIN!!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2002, 07:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm 21. I've been riding since I was 16. Started with my dad's trx300 4x4. Now I have a 400ex that I have modified for racing. It's not totally done but getting there. Ever since my first ride I was hooked. Then, ever since my first race, which I crashed at, I've had MX running through my blood. Nothing is gonna keep me away. I broke my leg about a month ago, and have been dreaming for the day when I can ride again.

Old 02-26-2002, 07:24 PM
Range Rover

I'm 16 years old. I got into ATV's when a friend showed me his Suzuki 50. I had an offroad go-cart at that time, which I sold for a Honda TRX125 when I was 14, I think. Moved up to a Recon soon after. Sold the Recon last spring to get a 300EX, which I've been modifying since for MX. My first race is March 17! My dad rides a 250ex, and my brother has a classic 200SX, which still runs like new.

Old 02-26-2002, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30<40

Old 02-26-2002, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

i am 44 and have ridden motorcycles since i was 8 or 9. i have just got into quads a year or so ago.i also have the pins and plates in my body from riding.I have a 250x now with to much to list on it. it is plenty fast for me and i enjoy riding it very much.I also ride a triumph tiger 750

Old 02-26-2002, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2002, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dawgboy - I was in the same kid quad search about two years ago. I have three sons, now 10, 8 and 5. We started with an old Suzuki LT50 that taught the two oldest the basics but the oldest (and I) wanted them to go out on the trails. We wound up getting a used Honda TRX90.

Your choices: Yamaha Raptor (badger) 80 - Best looking of all the minis and with shaft drive it's very durable. Too bad it's a real dog, just read the reviews.

Suzuki LT80 - Good reliable bike, lots of hop-up's available if you are into that and evidently the best racer of the big three minis. It's a little on the small side and will be outgrown sooner.

Honda TRX90 - Honda reliable and a great trail bike plus it's a little larger than the others. Does not have electric start but usually starts on the first pull. Also, this is one of the few minis that is a true auto-clutch 4 speed. That could be both good and bad - my oldest has no problem shifting, my 8 year old is still learning the process and really doesn't understand when it it time to shift gears.

All the others - Let's face it, most of the other minis (not all) are the same bike with different plastic. In general, they cost less, have electric start, CVC trannys and are less durable. From what I've read, heard from owners and dealers you get what you pay for.

I think the 250EX will be an OK size for you. One thing that I highly recommend if you ride with your kids - get helmet radios. Two of them will set you back $300-400 but it's worth it to be able to stop your kid with words rather than try to chase him down on the trails.

Jaybee

Quick Reply: How old are you people anyway?