Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250r back to life!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as I said before, obviusly you just skim posts... How about where knowsalot says:

<< that's the only reason that the motorcycles use cast. Not because of the reasons that you list. >>

hmm? He said heat... you said it wears out the bore and rings and is bad to run them. According to him and you are agreeing with him now(?) is that if you dont have nikisil you should run forged pistons because the &quot;hold up better&quot;.

Nothing in his reply supported you, all your posts before have stated stupid reasons I assume were given to you by the shadetree mechanic hack that told you not to run forged pistons years ago. You spill BS out and dont back it up with anything, like cast pistons break skirts from not warming up properly.. funny most cast pistons ive seen crack the skirt were out riding for awhile, NONE of them happened right after it was started and wasnt warmed up properly. First you say forged pistons wear out bore, then you say they will last longer than the bore and you'll have to bore it out and buy new pistons, then you say forged pistons dont last longer and want us to prove that they do when we never said they do, then you say you agree with a guy saying to run forged pistons in non nikasil applications to hold up better, then you say causing heat is the same thing you've been saying all along... WTF!! You said it will constrict around the piston and cause it to wear out the rings and wear the bore out of spec, not cause a little extra heat, geezus man make up your mind!!!!

Old 03-01-2002, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

&lt;&lt; do any of you really know if a forged piston and ring wears faster or last longer than a cast piston and rings? &gt;&gt;

I do. I've run both. It doesn't matter for ring longevity one bit. As I said before, this is why there is a ring end gap.
you dont know, you havent done studies on this, all you have done is innaccurate studies that rely on your riding style

&lt;&lt; all you know is that I am saying the wrong things because you know different. &gt;&gt;

I've already proven you wrong.
you havent showed me one bit of concrete evidence

&lt;&lt; cast pistons and rings last longer than forged pistons and rings! &gt;&gt;

No they don't. The rings on a cast piston last just as long as rings on a forged piston.
you dont have any proof that they dont

Old 03-01-2002, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

<< &lt;&lt; do any of you really know if a forged piston and ring wears faster or last longer than a cast piston and rings? &gt;&gt;

I do. I've run both. It doesn't matter for ring longevity one bit. As I said before, this is why there is a ring end gap.
you dont know, you havent done studies on this, all you have done is innaccurate studies that rely on your riding style

&lt;&lt; all you know is that I am saying the wrong things because you know different. &gt;&gt;

I've already proven you wrong.
you havent showed me one bit of concrete evidence

&lt;&lt; cast pistons and rings last longer than forged pistons and rings! &gt;&gt;

No they don't. The rings on a cast piston last just as long as rings on a forged piston.
you dont have any proof that they dont
>>

Ummm moron... WHERE IS YOUR PROOF! You state BS facts you pulled out of thin air with no facts to back it up and HAVENT EVEN RAN FORGED PISTONS IN YEARS!

Old 03-01-2002, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer

mp347

I did not say anything WILL CONSTRICT

I said the piston CONTRACTS

you keep twisting my words around mp347 read it over.

if more heat doesnt shorten engine life then I am on the wrong planet

Old 03-01-2002, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

just for shizts and giggles, I'm going to contact some engine builders tomorrow. I'm going to ask them about this, even tho I already know what they say. If you're so set on seeing my proof, where the hell is your proof? All you do is sprout off at the mouth like a 12 year old, and when a bunch of people say you're wrong, you continue to flap your jaw and make yourself look like an idiot. You backed yourself into a corner, now, I advise you cut your losses now, or do you have to be made a fool out of some more?

also, heat does not shorten the life of an engine. Excess heat can, but heat is a necessary element in making an engine perform well.

Goodnight, and I look forward to tomorrow with this post.

Old 03-01-2002, 12:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

<< mp347

I did not say anything WILL CONSTRICT

I said the piston CONTRACTS

you keep twisting my words around mp347 read it over.

if more heat doesnt shorten engine life then I am on the wrong planet
>>

Ok, you didnt use the word constrict, you said it expands and contracts, and th episton cant keep up and blah blah blah, and you told me when I race up the hill and coast back down the barrel cools off and the piston doesnt cool as fast so it wears into my jug because it tightens, heres some quotes from YOU!

<< when coasting after a high speed run. first the engine gets even hotter than the actual high speed run, then it contracts THIS IS WHEN the forged piston wears the rings and bore quicker.The cylinder(s) is actually waiting for the piston to contract and wears the bore and rings faster >>

sounds to me like you're saying the thing is squeezing the piston and rings causing it to wear faster??

<< its not contacting the piston, the forged piston is contracting at a slower rate so the rings wear the bore faster than a cast piston would, since the cast piston contracts faster than a forged piston. less pressure is on the rings >>

Sounds like you are saying its squeezing it again, causing it to WEAR OUT THE RINGS AND BORE.

Im not twisting your words, you are saying the words, theres the quotes!

Sure heat shortens engine life, if you have too much, heat is also what gives you power, thats why with an EGT you tune to hit the sweet spot, not enough heat and you're running it too rich and not making prime power, to much heat and you are stressing the motor and runnign it lean. a little heat can be bad, but its not gonna make your bore wear out in 30 hours or whatever you were using to judge when you said this:

<< your right on both accounts.
what you arent understanding is a forged piston wears the rings and bore out quicker than a cast piston, regardless if the piston is stronger and lasts longer.

Like I said alot of people run forged(weisco etc) pistons thinking there gonna get longer life out of the engine.longer life out of the piston YES, not the ring and bores though.

If you dont care about boring the cylinder sooner than a cast piston engine thats great! Go for it!
that particular forged piston WILL last longer (longevity wise) then a cast, thats why you only change your rings....but...what about the wrist pin, wrist pin bearing and circlips?

You only have so long until a particular bore is out of spec,(depending on your riding characteristics) then you have to bore it and then your awesome weisco forged piston that you bought for 130+ is useless, since you cant use it on that particular cylinder.(if you had another cylinder an a smaller bore then you could re use that piston!)

if you want a motor to last change the top end every 20-40 hours on a two stroke.

>>

Wheres your proof anyway? You want us to provide proof, the proof is ive ran the same FORGED piston for 2 years doing what YOU said would wear out my bore the quickest and I still have the cross hatching from the hone I gave it 2 years ago. YOU are the one pulling stuff out of thin air with nothing to back it up, YOU are the one that hasnt ran both pistons in years, YOU are the one that keeps contradicting yourself, denying things you said, twisting words around to suit you(guy says your reasons are wrong and all that forged cause is heat and you say you are right, YOU said it wears out the bore and rings in 40 hours).

Old 03-01-2002, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

so robert????????? howbout that &quot;R&quot;
lol

Old 03-01-2002, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

y elshancho they took over my post! I can't belive how fast my stock R is. Its crazy. I need to get use to so much power.

Old 03-01-2002, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

Robert: you'll get used to it sooner than you think and then you'll be asking about porting, pipes, and go fast mods [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Enjoy your R

Old 03-01-2002, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

do any of you really know if a forged piston and ring wears faster or last longer than a cast piston and rings?

do YOU?

Quick Reply: 250r back to life!