Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 01:04 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, right now im at a point where Im considering hop ups, or a new bike. I had my eye set on a Raptor and Banshee, but Im not sure yet. I really love honda's, but the 400EX isnt giving enough of what I want. I have lots of hours riding them, I'd just like a lot more grunt and speed. how are these engine upgrades? I was thinking of that 440 kit, is that the best upgrade kit for this machine? I imagine im going to spend 1800 difference for a raptor if i sold my EX, but maybe i could just put the money in my quad now because its mint as can be? I love the buttery smooth transmission, and reliability, i love the looks and the handling, but the motor isnt enough for me. I want a hard pull from top to bottom. What do you think? Please add what you feel on the upgrades. Could I make this bike a better and faster machine than the Raptor, or is it not worth bothering?

Old 02-27-2002, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

With my simple IMS440 kit, and WB-Eseries pipe, (440 kit was 400$ including machine work)
I hang wheel to wheel with a stock raptor.

(I have stock cam, and valvetrain, porting, ect. all stock)

Old 02-27-2002, 01:16 AM
Range Rover

Interesting, if im going to put some money in this bike, its going to be geared to beat the raptor for sure. Im not gonna put money into it just to keep up.

Say if i shoved 1500 into it, what kind of work would you do with it?

Right now, hows the 440 kit? What kinda difference do you feel compared to stock? Hotter cam, what will this do for me? Higher compression piston? What about the reliability? Lets see....White Brothers exhaust pipe? What do you think?

Old 02-27-2002, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

1500 will get you.. fast.

440 kit, WEB race cam, porting, good pipe. (I love my E-series)
It will be a quick bike for sure.
I love my 440 so far. Everything seems good reliability wise, exept I seem to be hearing
a funny noise as of the other day. I now think it is bad gas, and the motor is pinging as the noise is only at wide open throttle at high RPM.

I have the 10.3:1 piston so that I can run high octane pump gas.
Power is great. Stock Raptor level. (and I still have stock cam, and porting)
Torque is great, and wheelies are too easy. (sometimes literally)

Mod the EX, you wont be dissapointed.
-Matt

Old 02-27-2002, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

I dont have any problems with raptors or banshees.
Check your private messages.

Old 02-27-2002, 11:52 AM
Trailblazer

well here is the deal. u got a modded to the hilt 400EX and i got a banshee with the same money in it, about $7,000(thats including the stock price), lets race. i know that there is no way u will be as reliable or as fast so why do that? get a banshee or a raptor. a piped raptor is all it will take to beat your 440EX or what will be if u do that. all i have done to my banshee is what i have listed and i have beaten banshees with more work and more money than i have into mine.

Old 02-27-2002, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

i almost got a raptor but at the last second the guy sold it(thank you God). i got a cannibal and it will eat a 440ex and piped raptor, get a cannibal.

Old 02-27-2002, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

I have the WB E-series it caused a very noticeable power difference immediatly.I also got bigger main and pilot jets.I bought the jets by themselves instead of in the kit.I'm running a size 42 pilot and a size 150 main.This setup works great even with the stock air filter. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2002, 11:23 PM
Range Rover

<< i almost got a raptor but at the last second the guy sold it(thank you God). i got a cannibal and it will eat a 440ex and piped raptor, get a cannibal. >>

How much are we talking here for this quad? I hear around 6300 so far the best price. Trick is, I hear the maintanence sucks, and people are having problems with them. Clarify this if you will.

Old 03-02-2002, 02:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 400ex which I installed a 440 IMS big bore kit (11:1), 41mm carb, Big Gun complete race system exhaust, cam, air box, titanium valve springs, some porting and polishing, and some other small items (approx. $2000 for parts and labor). I ride with 3 guys who each have a Bombardier 650 DS (all stock) and 1 guy with a Raptor (new pipe) and I can out run them off the start and at top speed. This may be not the most accurate method, but I was clocked from point A to point B on a long straight away after achieving top speed and I covered 538 feet in 4 seconds (approx. 92 mph). You may not have to spend $2000 like I did, but I got a few other non-necessary items and paid my buddy to do the work, also. It was well worth it!

Note: I do use a noticably more amount of fuel, but if I was worried about more fuel consumption, I would have bought a moped.

Quick Reply: 400EX upgrades?