Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Considering a Rancher ES 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2000, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive both of these machines, given you size I would opt for the Rancher, you'll love it.

Old 02-23-2000, 08:42 PM
Trailblazer

Everyone is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for the turning radius info. Funny how that is incorrect in the literature for the past couple years.

Another quick question. How is the ultra low first gear? Plenty of torque? The most work I'll be doing with mine is most likely plowing snow. Do you use this gear plowing or is second preferable?

The local dealer should have a orange ES 4x4 this weekend. If the price is right, maybe I'll pick one up next week.

Old 02-23-2000, 10:01 PM
Range Rover

I bought my Rancher ES 4x4 from Woodwards ATV in
Lewistown PA. They had the lowest out the door price of anybody,they even beat Track-N-Trail's price and they where alot closer than State College.Ph 717-248-2318 and ask for Steve,he is the owner.Make him an offer and tell him how far away you are he will deal over the phone if you are serious.I have a Honda dealer about ten minutes from my house and he beat their price by
$ 700.

Old 02-24-2000, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob 4x4,lets not get started on this truth thing about examples of Polaris truth in advertising.Honda does not have a very clean advertising record either when it comes to displacing the TRUE CC's of their motors either.Just thought I'd bring that up.====BILL

Old 02-24-2000, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Bill, Honda does stretch it a bit when it comes to engine displacement. But you have to admit they at least give the correct measurement in the spec. section of their sales brochures. The only way I can see Polaris coming up with the turning radius specs they use, is if they measure from the inside tires in a turn. Which is down right fraudulent!

Old 02-25-2000, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

The best way to decide is to ride both!!.In mag. articles the Polaris beats Hondas in almost every spec. collum, however in real world riding it gets much closer. Bigger is not always better,speed and Power..torgue are often reported in a confusing way.Note to all Polaris riders, your engine breaking system works better than before but doesnt come close to Honda .Ride both and see Polaris is much faster but to me Hondas torgue was much better! I also launch a fully rigged 16 ft. boat over deep sugar sand beach.My Hondas reverse and low gear work great! However 1 time I did get stuck and my buddy with a new sportsman 5oo offerd to pull me out.OOOps he didn't get has far as me! So much for the mag. reviews. Both are great rides so you have to decide on YOUR style and terrain.Hopes this helps!! From one who rode both and bought HONDA!!
Ps. My kawy friends hate when I don't mention the new Prairie 400's. They were my 2nd choice!!

Old 02-26-2000, 04:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm from the Norfolk, VA area and I just bought a Rancher 4X4 ES at Honda Of Norfolk. I had checked all the other places around here and the best price I could get was $5399 plus tax, out the door. And to top it off, nobody had one in stock. The only one that was in stock was at Honda of VA Beach and they would not come down from $5700 plus tax. When I called Honda of Norfolk I offered $5399 plus tax, since that was the best I had found. He said he would sell it to me for $5150 plus tax, out the door. I was shocked. I went straight down and put a deposit on it. It comes in 10 March and I am looking forward to getting it and riding it.

Bye the way, I thought the advertised turning radius for the Rancher 4X4 was 10'8". I'll find out when I get mine.

Old 02-27-2000, 08:22 AM
Trailblazer

My friend had a 500 and sold it to buy a Rancher . The reason was weight and size . After riding all day he was complaining how the 500 seamed to work hard on his arms and shoulders after a days riding on narly trails .

Old 02-27-2000, 05:59 PM
Trailblazer

Again, thanks for the input. Made my decision to get a Rancher. It's true that these units are "blowing" out the doors. One dealer did discount well. I'm hoping to get him down to around $5000 out the door(Excluding tax). Saw a 2x4 in orange. Just love the color. I'll keep ya posted.

Old 02-28-2000, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Good luck on getting your Oragne. I had to wait 3 months to get mine.

My nephew was just hired at a facility in Marysville Ohio where they pack 'em up and ship 'em out, and he tells me that all the Oragne one's are being shipped to France. Now if that isn't a bite in the backside.

I believe that you'll love the bike no matter the price.

Quick Reply: Considering a Rancher ES 4x4