Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Picked up an R! NEED SOME HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally picked up an 86 R, It's completely stock, minus the FMF pipe and silencer. It is in mint condition, still has original headlight and tail light, and tool kit. I rode it a little yesterday, and then my dad took it for a ride, and came back, we sat and talked for a minute, and then i went to get on it, and it wouldn't start. Started when i got it out of the garage to go riding fine and a couple times after that, i was getting spark, but it wouldn't start! What's the problem here? Also, what else do i need to know? this is my first R, and first 2 stroke. i've always had a 4 stroke, and am not used to the 2 strokes. help me out here! what do i need to know? what should i do maintence wise?

Any help would be great!!!

Old 03-15-2002, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

If you're getting spark, check the plug. It probably fouled. If not, are you low on gas? If you intend on putting around on your R, you might as well get a box of plugs. You can't ride it like you do your 250X. Good luck

Old 03-15-2002, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

First of all, go get an owner's manual. Doesn't matter if it's a Clymer or a Honda publication, just get one and start looking through it.
Next, check out the best website devoted to the Honda 250R. . .

http[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]ub20.ezboard.com/bhondatrx250r

all R owners with a lot of knowledge and experience to help you.
Now, you're immediate problem; make sure you have a clean plug in the engine, got some good fresh gasoline/oil mix in the tank, switch is on and if you have the key make sure it's on; if engine is cold, try choking it and see if it will start, once running for a minute, shut the choke off. If engine is warm and won't start, try holding the throttle wide open and kicking it; that should start it! Let go of the throttle once it fires! If you have a warm engine and the above won't start it, pull the plug and see if it's wet. If it is, you flooded it and you can turn off all ignition, reinstall a dry plug, shut off fuel to engine, hold throttle wide open and kick about 6 or 7 times. This will clear out the "flooded" condition. Turn the fuel and ignition back on, hold the throttle wideopen and kick and go!

Old 03-15-2002, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

What is the history of the quad, you did not mention any history. How old is the fuel? I suggest you go to macdizzy's web site and print off the '86 owners manual he has there to start with, and as suggested, go get a clymers manual on the R, well worth the $$. If you are not certain of the fuel/oil, dump it out, put a new plug in, make sure it's an NGKBR8ES, gap it to .22", get some good quality oil such as amsoil2000, fresh fuel, clean the airfilter, check electrical connections, make sure you got spark when you kick if over with plug out.

Old 03-15-2002, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

mmmm i had this problem and it turnned out to be dirt from the tank because i cleanned the hell outta my carb 4 time's, i checked the wireing harness thinking my spark was weak i put in a brand new plug in it and findly i took it to a shop that charged me 50 bucks to clean out the tank and do some minor jetting.which wasn't the problem it was just alittle off and he figured he might as well do something for me hehe,being stupid cost's money.but with that said..clean out the tank and carb if your getting good spark and fuel,that's all i can come up with other than your reed's might be broke this can happen it don't even need to be running to do it ,as far as history on your 250R you made an outstanding choice they do everything perfect and when kept up have no problem's linked to factory engineering that iv heard it's simple to work on two the 250r is like a big set of lego's for adult's chain adjusting is easy as hell i rarely ever have a fouled plug and i do alot of wood's rideing powerband is great every aftermarket company that want's to stay open make's/carries 250r goodie's good luck dude

Old 03-15-2002, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

o yea could somebody tell him the easy way to take off the airbox i would but im not sure the 88's are the same as my 86