Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400 ex pipe ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know people ask about 400ex pipes alot, but bear with me. I have searched thru the old postings, and I'm not getting my question answered. Do you really have to spend more money on a pipe like a Yoshi, Paul Turner Fatboy 4, or DMC?? Or do you really get the basically same results putting on a cheaper pipe like a WB E Series, or Pro Circuit T-4 slip on system?? Is it wiser to just buy one of these pipes, and then get the FMF Powerbomb header later on as you want more power?? I am planning on ordering a pipe this week. I have a K&N Filter w/outwear, and a dynojet jet kit allready, but I'm waiting to install everything at the same time. I'd like some honest opinions, before I go and spend more money.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-19-2002, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

C'mon guys...somebody's gotta have an answer for me.

Old 03-20-2002, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

I have the Paul Turner Fat Boy 4. I think that it is incredible!! I have the complete pipe from the header. I know a lot of people say that Honda pipes are one of the best but I figured that if I'm getting a slip on for performance than I am going to get the thing. I like to think that it made a huge difference. I will say that my buddy has a 2002 Raptor with the E-series pipe on it and I don't notice much of a performance enhancement since he put that pipe on. I will say that since I put the Fat Boy 4 on I have noticed a HUGE difference in speed and power. It almost wheelies as much as his Raptor. He still beats me on top end speed but not by much. I think that If I got the Qwiksilver Carb we would be neck and neck. It's your choice and your $ but GO WITH DUNCAN.

Old 03-20-2002, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

i would suggest a graydon proline pipe these pipes give great power and are very loud so if you dont want loud stay away but if noise is no concern graydon is the way to go

Old 03-20-2002, 02:57 AM
Trailblazer

I would recomend a sparks or a yoshimura they seem to have the best pipes around. I would recomend a noleen like I have but the company does not exist anymore. also if your going to build it later on, that should make a difference in the pipe you should chose.

Old 03-20-2002, 06:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The dirt wheels pipe shootout last year showed the White Bros. E-Series gave the best HP gain, better than Yoshi and all the rest. they were all within a couple horses of each other, but the E-Series was the winner.

Old 03-20-2002, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

Hondamarshal2....how well did that Fatboy 4 pipe fit?? Was it an easy install, or did you have to loosen the oil tank to make it fit into place. Is there a decent amount of clearance between the new headers and the oil tank??

Old 03-20-2002, 03:04 PM
Range Rover

I went to HMF just to check out their comany and ended up walking out wih a slip-on. I really like it and their prices are unbeatable. They are on the loud side though so if that is an issue, but I haven't tried the quiet core. Any pipe will make a difference it's just how much and where. I was told that my sip-on gives 4 hp on the low end. This is from their dyno. I don't have experience with any other pipes so all I can vouch for is the HMF.

Old 03-20-2002, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

The problem with HMF though, is that they do not offer a USFS approved spark arrestor. They have a screen type insert, but it's not USFS approved. I just checked thier website. www.hmfengineering.com

Old 03-20-2002, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Chad400EX,
The fit was fine. I did not have to remove anything from the frame of my machine, ie. oil tank. I did have to fool with the right header pipe. Wasn't bad though. Make sure you take out the old melted copper gaskets and replace with new. Duncan provides all instructions and if you order from them they include the gaskets. I got the whole set up for $630.00. That includes shipping, k& n air filter w/ outerwear, header pipes, Fat Boy 4 slip on and a jet kit. I went up two sizes from the stock. Works fine and is an awesome setup. I definately recommend. Also, you can buy a spark arrester that is approved for it. Not to loud but a very gutteral GROWL!!! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Quick Reply: 400 ex pipe ?'s