Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

New 2 stroke 60HP is what the website says!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have't ridden one yet, it really sucks being young sometimes. However from everything I have gathered from Mags,the net, this forum, and Cannondale, there is no way I will buy anything else(new)unless it's a Banshee(because 2 stroke). I don't know how they do it, but they built a 454cc drag quad and were beating 700cc+ machines with it. As for them not being able to afford it, is because they just spent 65 million dollars(I think, around there anyway) on the motorsports department and instead of developing a 2 stroke alot of money went into building this bad a$$ thunper that can out run the "ring dings". One reason I like them so much is once I go buy a quad, I can't afford to go buy parts for it all the time(again it sucks being young sometimes)but with the Cannondales you don't really need anything except nerfs and a tehter switch and you can ride anywhere a sport quad can ride, only alot aftser than most quads! Anway I don't want to ramble too much, Yamaha and Honda guys get in pissing matches with me about the Cannondales. That makes me think, somebosy must be jealous. I KNOW I AM!

Old 03-27-2002, 01:05 AM
The Facility

In my opinioin, this is just another comapny attempting to build cheap knock offs of the other guy's quads with expired Japanese patents.

The engine in the 200 is an engine from a late '70's Honda XL175 with the XR200 cylinder on top of it. There are already two other companies that have Blaster look-a-likes with that engine. However the engine doesn't actually have Honda parts in it. They are designed after the Honda design.

Don't know what to say really. The Blaster chassis is already over powered with the stock Yamaha Blaster engine in it. I couldn't imagine adding a 60HP engine in that frame. Actually, I can't imagine one of these companies having an engine that put's out 60HP either.

As for my thoughts on the company,...I can't say anything about how KetchumATV works, but there are probally a half dozen others that visit us year in and year out wanting us to carry their products. One look at these things closely is all it takes to show them the door.

It may "look" like a Yamaha chassis. It may "look" like a Honda engine, but they are all imitations of the original and if it were as good as the original, it would perform and sell as well as the original. Enough said.

Old 03-27-2002, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

2stroke4ever,
I have ridden a Cannibal (though only for about 5 minutes) but I can say that I was impressed. It handled really well and had quite a bit of power. It was almost as snappy as my tecate (which wasn't exactly stock). The Cannibal accelerated great and surprised me for a four stroke. I would recommend riding one if you can before you buy anything else new. I am still not sure on what is going to be parked in my garage later this year, but it may be a Speed. I am waiting to see how the new Suzuki stacks up also.

Old 03-27-2002, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

Just from looking at that website, I have a few things to say.

1. The "Ketchum" label looks like it's been PhotoShopped onto almost all of those pictures.

2. Yaright is correct, if either of those ATVs pictured were 2-strokes, they'd have pipes with expansion chambers. So either there's something seriously wrong here, or they just aren't showing the "250RR".

3. There's something very wrong with the bore and stroke listed on the website. This engine is, according to these numbers, UNDERsquare (longer stroke than the bore is wide), which is exactly backwards for a high-horsepower engine. Undersquare engines typically produce lots of torque, but not a lot of horsepower because they can't rev as high (the piston has a longer distance to travel). Hell, look at ALL of the other engines on that chart, not one of them is undersquare. Do these guys perhaps know something that the rest of the world has yet to figure out???

Old 03-27-2002, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

4 strokes are usually oversquare, small bore 2 stroke singles are usually undersquare

Old 03-27-2002, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

as a matter of fact the 3 250 two strokes from back in the day were all undersquare

Old 03-28-2002, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm... alright, I didn't realize that. I wonder why that is... any ideas?

Old 03-28-2002, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

i'm not exacltly sure, but i would say that it is becuase an oversquare 250 2 stroke single woudn't have the torque to actaully move a heavy machine(such as an atv) and it would be very hard to keep in in the power band. i know that twin cylinders, such as banshee, are oversquare, and large singles, such as 500r are square. anybody?

Old 03-28-2002, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know what to say about this, but I hope my new "square" 350 jug for my ATC250R will perform like a 500. Anybody in here tried a 350 in ATC frame? How was it? I'm looking for suggestions on just how long the swingarm has to be. I'm hoping six inches will do it, as I can only widen the machine four inches, and I still want to ride it for general purpose. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-28-2002, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Did you get the powervalve cylinder kit? I wouldn't go past 6 inches on the swingarm. I would only go 4 inches or so, then just lean wayyyy forward and gain 50 pounds, lol.