Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Youth Riders

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People are going to steriotype you no matter what you do in life. It's just something you have to deal with. Wether you live up to that assumption that they make of you is entirely up to you.

For example my first car was a 1990 Ford Taurus Station wagon. It was all rusted out and it was basically a beater. Well with problems like a slipping tranny, bad headlight switch, burning oil, leaking radiator, bad CV axle, needing new tires, and ripped off exhaust just to name a few... Anyway back to the point. I paid $250 for the car and it was my first car. I knew it wasn't long for this world so I covered the whole hood and front grille and quarter pannels in duct tape and drew flames on it with a marker and cut them out. Wouldnt ya know it my car was the talk of the town. It sounded like it had a perfromance exuast and from a distance the duct tape flames looked like they were painted on and it squealed hitting 2nd gear when you floored it (bad tranny remember). Anyway I had cops following me all around the place. They'd stop me for the littlest things but never gave me a ticket.

Thats just one example of being steriotyped. The car is dead now but I'm still young. Not only cops but other people look out for young people to screw up. Instead of complaining about how terrible things are and try and change things. Pi$$ing and moaning gets you nowhere. I stand by the dealers decision to uphold age regulations. That's how you do good buisness. Dealers souldn't be interested in making a few bucks they should focus on making the coustomer happy with their purchase. A happy customer is more then likely to come back and do buisness.

As far as responsiblilty I'm 16 and I'm young. I'll admit I'm not perfect in any way but at least I know enough to act responsible when I need to be. There's no sense in complaing nobody listens to people who whine and complain. Why not try a more suttle approach and debate? This way you don't have any fighting and both partys express their opinions entirely.

As for wearing a helmet, Always wear a helmet. I can honestly say that I would not be here today if it weren't for one. There's a differnce between being stupid and ignorance as my Conservation teacher always says. Stupid is when you have the chance to learn or do someting and you KNOWINGLY refuse to take notice or learn from it. Ignornace is never having the opportunity presented to you to learn. Stupid hurts. Don't be stupid.

Old 03-31-2002, 06:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

KNOWSALOT,
I will not KNOWINGLY sell an ATV to anyone under the age of 16 that exceeds the manufactures recommendations.If the potential ATV buyer is unaware of this age/cc rule,I have just educated him/her and sent that buyer down the steet to another dealership.Do you think that buyer will tell the NEXT salesman the ATV is for an underage kid?NO WAY!I just sent that ATV sale down the rode and lined some other salesmans pocket with a commission.I have stated before that I do not entirely agree with these age/cc recommendations.For the most part,14-15 yr old kids do NOT PROPERLY fit on a 90cc ATV.I also disagree with you when you say that kids today are less responsable than they were 20yrs ago,at least when we are refering to ATVs anyways.I've been involved with 3 and 4 wheelers since 1983 and yes,I am a licensed ATV safety instructor,however,I still have my own opinions on this age/cc thing.The CPSC has not changed anything yet on age/cc recommendations nor have I heard of anything new coming from them.

In Michigan,there are 3 times MORE registered ATVs than there are dirt bike riders,so your statistics on deaths being 3 times higher on ATVs than cycles has very little credability on a cycle being safer for younger riders,at least in Michigan.

You misread my other post.I did NOT say it was OK for a underage kid to PURCHASE an ATV outside of the age/cc recommendations,I said in Michigan it was OK for kids 12 and older to OPERATE an ATV outside of the manufactures recommeded age/cc size once they have their ORV training certificate and are under VISUAL SUPERVISION of an adult.

As a licensed ATV safety instructor,since we are funded by the manufactures of ATVs,I CANNOT teach the ASI safety classes outside of these age/cc guidelines.Since 95% of kids are NOT on the correct age/cc ATV,they allmost allways DONT get the ASI safety classes because 90cc loaner ATVs are very hard for instructors to get.They WALK and dont get the training!

A few yrs ago,another ASI safety instructor in Michigan recognized the need to reach out and get a State approved ATV safety course for the kids we [ASI] misses because of the restrictions.He now can teach his safety course throughout the State of Michigan to kids that are on quads outside of the age/cc recomendations.This is working out FANTASTIC and the kids ARE getting the PROPER training needed to acheive their ATV safety certificate,which is MANDITORY under the age of 16 in Michigan.

Bill

Old 03-31-2002, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Knowsalot I am still waiting for an answer what does irresponible to you mean?