Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Recon for Mud and Water?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much mud and water can a Stock 2002 Honda Recon go through since its not 4x4? I will be going in water up to and over the fenders and in mud well over the tires I would say, How much power does the Recon have? How well and how fun is it on Trails? How reliable is the Recon? If I were to get one I would probably get the ES model, I have a XR250R dirt bike so how would it compare to it powerwise? Thanks Matt, oh and what have you guys been paying OUT THE DOOR for a 2002 Honda Recon ES? Thanks again.

Old 04-03-2002, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that the snorkle intake is at the height of the bottom of the gas tank........ Airbox lids have been known to leak, and put some dieelectric grease in your plug boot.

Old 04-03-2002, 12:59 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply lotusposition, Thanks for the information on the snorkle,what if water the air box leaks and water gets into the the airbox? also how deep of mud and water can the Recon go through?

Old 04-03-2002, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get enough water in the airbox, it will be sucked into the carburetor/engine, not good. I am not a "swimmer", perhaps someone else can tell you how deep.

Old 04-03-2002, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

If you're going to be in mud like you say up over the tires you can forget the Recon.

Old 04-03-2002, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

My buddy has a 2000 Recon. I will try and answer some of your questions.

1. Is the Recon good in the mud and water? No, not really. The stock tires are not very good in the mud and when it gets into water above 2 foot deep, the motor will die. Not sure why, it is either a short in the spark plug or the carb ingest some water. It always restarts after we get it out of the water, but it takes a lot of cranking. Both of these problems (tires and stalling) could be corrected pretty easy though. It is fun though when my friend dies in the middle of the water hole. His jerk friends (like me) ride by him really fast and splash water on him. When your down and out, you can alway count on your friends to give you a swift kick in the but [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

2. How much power does the Recon have? This is not an very powerful motor, but Honda did a good job on the gear selection. It is geared pretty low, which is good for trail riding, but severly limits the top speed. But you wouldn't buy a recon if you were looking for a top speed machine.

3. How fun is it on the trails? The recon is a good all around trail machine. Bear in mind that the suspension travel is not all that great and the machine is not designed for jumping, but it still does pretty well on the trails. The machine is very light and agile, which is good for smaller riders.

4. Price? Can't help you on this one.

Old 04-03-2002, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replys everyone, Yeah I know if I didn't get a 4x4 I would be really dissapointed because I wouldn't beable to go where my friends go, I have a 1991 XR250R dirt bike right now and they go through all this mud and water and I have to find another way around and ride hard to catch back up, Also there trails have alot of fist size rocks that are loose and my front wheel will roll out from under me so I have to go slower and they just blast through it, But once we get out on a wide dirt road I will eat them up and through dust in there face,I just want something that I can take and keep up with them on the trails and go through the mud and water like them and not look for "ANOTHER WAY". THanks again Matt

Old 04-03-2002, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

400ex2001

I have a 2001 Recon and I have been able to ride with the 4x4s without any trouble. It will climb hills like a mountain goat, just keep the front wheels on the ground. Like MagnumMud said, it will die in water over 2', but we were always able to restart once you drag it to the bank.

As far as the pricing, that depends on the dealer. I gave $3,599 plus tax for the Recon. I bought it a week before Christmas, there were not many ATVs in stock, so I had to pay the retail price. I bought a 02 Rancher 2x4 in January and gave $4,200 out the door.

Old 04-03-2002, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

whats up with everybody saying that the recon will die out in 2 foot of water? I've had mine floating in water more than once and i've never died out... just don't let off the gas... but anybody knows that.

Old 04-03-2002, 10:08 PM
Range Rover

go to http://www.angelfire.com/hi3/nj/atv.html then go to swamp riding. my brother used to own a recon and he beat the crap out of it in the water and mud.

Quick Reply: Honda Recon for Mud and Water?