Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Electric Shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-1999 | 02:14 PM
|
Trailblazer

I was looking at the new Honda Ranchers the other day and they are really nice. I especially like the digital display and the floor boards on the ES model, but I was just wondering how well Honda's Electric Shift would hold up in the long run? Also, do you have to let off the throttle like the semi-auto's to shift or can you stay on the throttle while your upshifting or downshifting? Any info from Rancher ES or Foreman ES owners would be appreciated.

------------------
Brian Kimmel - 97 Timberwolf

Old 11-22-1999 | 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Honda says you can shift it while under full throttle, but I sure wouldn't recommend it. I ride a Honda 450ES, and I let off on the gas and shift, as it is much easier on the machine. Also, we have 1200 miles on it, and the electric shift system never once failed, we brought it in for the recall on it, and now it is even better. And yes, the LCD display is waterproof. And yes, the electric shift can handle deep water, I've had the front rack submerged already, but it wasn't my fault, it was part of the trail!

Old 11-22-1999 | 06:31 PM
Range Rover

I second everything that Rooster mentioned in his reply. I have a 2000 model 450 ES and have not had any problems at all. I also read in the Honda brochure that you can speed shift with the ES models, but that just kind of goes against my principles (it just seems like it would be hard on the transmission.) I have seen people power into a mudhole in first gear and then speed shift into second to keep the momentum going. I didn't hear any weird noises and the guy who was riding is a Honda technician, so I assume it is not that hard on it, but I still would not recommend it. A lot of my friends have the ES model and only one of them has had any problems with the electric shifting. The problem was easily solved by applying dielectric grease to the big white wiring connector on the side of the frame. (I can't remember which side it was, but I think you can see it while sitting on the bike-between the engine and front fenders.) Hope this helps in your decision.

Old 11-22-1999 | 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 98' 450es with 1400 miles on it. The only problem I have had was the battery drain.(recall) I to let off the trottle before shifting. As a matter of fact, you cannot downsift when the quad is under a high RPM. I love my machine and I to was thinking about getting the 500 and giving my 450 to my wife. Let me know what you think about it.

Old 11-22-1999 | 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Rancher ES 4x4 and I love it.At first I wasn't sure if I would like the ES,but I didn't want too wait 2 or 3 months for the standard shift.I'm glad I didn't wait.I think the ES is alot better.It's easier if your going up a hill and need to shift.I love the instrument panel.It's really nice to look down and see what gear your in.Honda has a good reputation so I don't think you could go wrong with getting the Rancher ES.I hope I've helped in some way.

Old 11-23-1999 | 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 2000 450es with 970 klm and have had no problems with the electric shift. This system can be driven aggressively and the speed and hardness of the shift is controlled by the ESP. The more aggressively you ride the harder and faster the shift. This is not an automatic, but rather an electronically shifted manual transmission as used on Formula 1 cars. Hope this helps you out.

------------------
Ride the "WILD COUNTRY" , South Gillies, Ontario, Canada

Old 11-23-1999 | 08:42 AM
|
Trailblazer

The electric shift sounds like a pretty nice feature. Thanks for the info everyone. Any other comments welcome.

Old 11-23-1999 | 12:15 PM
Rod
Trailblazer

Greetings,

I have a 98 450ES. I've heard that you can shift without letting up on the throttle, but you probably won't want to -- you get a real heavy "ka-chunk" sound and then a neck-wrenching leap forward.

My machine sits for three weeks at a time. When I first start out, it will stay in first gear for about 30 yards. Even if you shift into second, it will fall back into first. I have always thought this was related to the fluids draining down over an extended rest period, but I have no data to go on. Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Also, some of us have had trouble finding neutral if you shut it off in gear. Sometimes it returns fine, other times you need to get out the manual wrench thing they include. I've heard that later models aren't so picky, but I have no real data here either.

Finally, with long periods between uses, I've been a prime candidate for battery drain. Looking forward to getting the recal work done. It always starts with the pull cord, but it can be rough on your hands.

Thanks,

Rod 450ES [...and its yellow]