Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Adjusting FCR Carb.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had my 400ex upgraded to a 440 and also had a Keihin 41mm FCR carb put in. There is no choke on this carb and the only adjustment I can find is for a lean / rich fuel mixture, which I've tried to both extremes. Can anyone help as to how to adjust the idle speed so that I don't have to keep holding down the throttle to keep the engine running?

Old 04-17-2002, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

I have a FCR and I will help you as much as possible. The easiest way may be to e-mail me or even call me and I will help you through it.

E-mail: Sandric@go.com

I need to know where it was purchased and what type of fuel it is for.
Crash course: You should have a long rubberized cable with a **** that can be attached to the frame. It should go the the bolt on the throttle cam. This adjusts idle speed.
That is the easy part. For the rest I need to know if it is for Alcohol or gas.

Who recommended the 41 carb? Most 440's run fine with the 39mm. You will love this carb when it gets lined out.

Old 04-18-2002, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

AlkyBurninX...do you ride St. Joe? I will be picking up the 465 from the builder Saturday and will be spending most of the weekend tuning. I to have a FCR41 and will be burning methanol.

Old 04-19-2002, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider

I try to make it to St. Joe a couple of times each year. The biggest problem is keeping these Yamaha's together[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. I guess if I didn't ride like a crack-starved monkey they might be more dependable. I will try to make it in the next month or so, so e-mail me (Sandric@go.com) and I might meet you up there.
How about describing what the 465 looks like so that I don't get up there and bite off more that my little 410 can chew[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].
You really will love the FCR though. I have the 39 on mine. You can buy various slide needle tapers to adjust when your fuel comes on. The accelerator pump, pushes as much fuel as a Holley double pumper.<--I would like to see changeable accel pump cams, and nozzle to adjust how long and at what throttle position the accel pump operates. My 250x is easier to start with the FCR that has no choke and is on akly than what was stock. Sit for two months, turn on gas, pump throttle, hit on first kick, started on second.
Hope to see you around.

Old 04-19-2002, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Alky...the 465 is pretty much in stock form. I'm planning in the very near future buying a +4 swingarm. I will probably leave it as close to stock as possible....I like the sneeky look. In addition to the 465 I've installed a Carrillo rod, 493/9i cam, larger intake/exhaust valves with race springs, hardened rockers and a high rev cdi. I sand drag in Bonne Terre and use the EX mostly for this purpose. It will have a removeable wheelie bar in a couple of weeks. I've read that the accelerator pump can be adjusted to suite riding style but don't know how to do it. I bought the FCR41 from Sparks and it came with no box or instructions. I bought the alky kit from FTZ and currently I have the largest main and pilot in the carb and needle in the 3rd notch....I will work my way down from there. I also have a full HPD race Sport on alky that gets with the program pretty well. I ride at St. Joe just about every weekend for it's my stress reliever. Next time you head this way email me jkatv400ex@sbcglobal.net. See you there.

Old 04-19-2002, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Puppetmaster....there is another fuel adjustment screw behind the intake bell (motor side). You will have to take the bell off to get to the adjustment screw. I can't help you out much more than that because I haven't fooled with this carb much, but I will soon when I get my EX back from the builder.

Old 04-20-2002, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Pudjumper, I guess you got instructions from FTZ? If not, you need to remove one of the air jets while you have the air bell off. It has been almost two years since I dialed my FCR in, or even looked closely at it for that matter. I am trying to remember all of the adjustments that I done, but I've slept since then[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. I believe there is two air jets, and you must remove the larger diameter one. I will try to take a look at mine this weekend and all the adjustments should come back to me.
The 350 4x4 listed in my sig has Hot Seat porting and pipe, shaved head, modified Boyesen rad valve, 38TMX flowing 110 octane fuel, hypershift clutch kit, and other unnoticeable modifications. I love people who knock polaris and then get smoked by one all in the same day. This ATV still has front/rear racks, speedo, 4 wheel drive, and weighs 590 lbs. People that haven't seen it don't believe that it will pull the front tires at 25MPH. Until my 60 MPH topend, I can stay ahead of most stock motored 400ex's.