Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Raptor for TRX 250r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2002 | 08:28 PM
|
Trailblazer

I want to sell my raptor because of the price of after market parts is way to expensive,
To tall to do donut's and narrow so it always wants to roll.
I'm leasing it and it's killing me that I can't afford to buy any expensive mods for it,
so i want a 250r.
I have never riden a 250r but from what i hear there awsome!
Can you do good donut's with 250r's?
Is the power similar to a 250 dirtbike?
Is it a good idea to buy 250r?
If I do, what should I watch out for?

Old 04-18-2002 | 09:16 PM
Range Rover

you will be very tired after riding the 250r and u will be very soar. but kepp it in power band to do them donuts!

Old 04-18-2002 | 09:57 PM
rc3
Pro Rider

you will love a 250r, they are great bikes, Honda should of never quit making them. It's to bad that honda is afraid to make a high perfomance quad

Old 04-18-2002 | 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

you will be very tired after riding the 250r and u will be very soar. but kepp it in power band to do them donuts!

What the crap? Yeah, the 250R might tire you out from holding on the the handlebars!

RAPZILLA, It's everything a Raptor isn't. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Powerful, GREAT handling, easy to mod, and reliable!

Old 04-18-2002 | 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

So you think that building up a 250R is any cheaper than modding your Raptor? LOL...

First of all, if you can find a good used 250R, which I bet you will spend months looking, it will probably cost over $3000. Granted that these machines are now 13 years old, at their youngest, they are going to need some work. The engine will need to be gone through, at least to check clearances, wear, abuse, etc (IF you want to be able to trust your machine). Next comes the frame. The 250R frame has great geometry, but fatigue from just normal riding after so many years will make it crack in places. There are some bucks there for replacing the frame, or reliability issues if you just choose to repair and repaint. Other parts that will most likely need replaced include, but are not limited to: front/rear wheel bearings, swing-arm pivot bearings, a-arm bushings, steering-stem bearings (perhaps even upper bushing), front/rear brake pads (maybe even rotors), and various controls. It is just a lot of stuff to check and work on, but yes, it can be a blast to do. FYI, I've rebuilt two TRX250Rs, two ATC200Xs, and one LT250R.

If you want to get a 250R because you think that they are cheaper-- THINK AGAIN!!! There is a reason Yamaha sells so many Raptors. They are really alot cheaper, in the long run, to modify RELIABLE. Sure, you may pay $6800 OTD. You may also spend $500+ on an exhaust system. You would also spend roughly $2500 to make the suspension up to Race/Rec spec (a-arms, swing-arm, shocks). BUT, you would still have to spend that same $2500 on a 250R, let alone the $3000+ IF you found one. So, for that extra $3500 that it takes to get the the Raptor MSRP you get a brand new machine that has a warranty and that is made now, brand new, with recent technology. Digest all that I just spewed out and it might start to make more sense. I sold my '89 250R so I could be my Raptor, and I feel that it was worth it.

Also, if you are leasing your Raptor and can't afford to mod it, how the hell do you expect to buy a 250R and then afford to mod it? People just don't give them away (although I did have an '85 200X given to me once...).

Old 04-18-2002 | 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

I bought a bone stock 86' 250R for 2700.00
Paid 300.00 to have it shipped to me.
Put a new top-end on it for ~140.00

I have less than 3200.00 into it and it runs strong.

I also bought an 88 250R for 3100.00 that needed NOTHING, so I don't think that you will be spending anywhere's close to what a new Raptor will cost you.

I have modded out my 88 with a lot of goodies, including motor work from MP Racing.
This thing HAULS as good as the 330R that I used to have, and for what is on it now, I have less than 4200.00 into it.

The important thing is to take your time, and be very picky. I have passed over more than one 250R when looking to buy one. If you rush into it, yes, youcan wind up spending a lot of money. But take your time, be choosey, take someone with you who really knows what to look for, and you will come away with a very nice moderately inexpensive 250R.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2002 | 12:24 AM
rc3
Pro Rider

2FUN, where is MP racing located, I am having a swing arm built by them. I was just kind of curious as to where they are located.

Old 04-19-2002 | 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not trying to start a war. Raptors are good machines. If you want to drag race only-buy a Raptor and mod it. In any other case a 250r will generally outperform a Raptor. It weighs a lot less. It handles better. You can get a solid,reliable 40-45 RWHP for about $1k out of an R, and the same with the Raptor. All the parts for the R's are available with very few exceptions. The R has been modified in every configuration you can imagine so you don't need to reinvent the wheel if you want something to suit your needs. You could replace every bearing on the machine and in the engine cases, including the transmission case bearings for about $250 if you watch where you spend your money. The Raptor is a great machine, but they are reported to have a few issues. The transmission problems seem to be overblown. I suspect the problem comes from riding it without proper clutch use while shifting, particularly getting it caught in the abyss between 1st and 2nd gear,that all Yamaha's have(including my 426) and jamming it into 2nd with the gas on and the clutch out . I suspect the Raptor can be modded to make more reliable horsepower than an R without having to run methanol. I'm building a ATC350R powervalve right now. It will be interesting to see what kind of power it puts out. It will be interesting to see how it compares to my buds Raptor, which should be done next week and is supposed to put out between 65-75RWHP. The power of a 250r will equal that of a dirt bike when you increase it's power to approximately 70RWHP so that the power to weight ratio is comparable. A KTM250SX put down 50HP at the rear wheel. The R stock puts down a bit over half of that. The R and the Raptor are two different machines with very different characteristics. The only thing that will tire you on the R is the big grin on your face. A good used R will be cheaper than a Raptor, just watch what you buy, and remember it will be 20 years old when you sell it compared to 5 years with a Raptor.

Old 04-19-2002 | 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

rc3, MP Racing is in Salem. www.motomallusa.com is their site, I think.

Old 04-19-2002 | 12:52 AM
Range Rover

If your patient you can find yourself a nice R for a decent price. The day I brought my R home I ripped it down to the bare frame and started from the beginning with it. In my opinion its better than anything you can buy new. I've bought many oem and aftermarket parts including brands like RAD, Elka, Duncan, TM design etc. I have spent just under $5500 including purchase of the R (w/powdercoating of many parts as well)! The R is far better than when it was bought in 89. As far as comparing it to any other Quad, that would be a matter of personal preference. Each model has its good and bad points, but it has been proven over and over that the R is an outstanding quad for most applications.

Quick Reply: Raptor for TRX 250r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!