Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher vs magnum 325

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-1999, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if you buy the Rancher, you won't be sorry. I have a 1997 300 and am totally satisfied with the bike and my dealer. I have not experienced any 3 wheel drive out of my four wheel drive. Someone may not be maintaining their rig so well.

Old 11-28-1999, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Andrew, I think I know what the different results are from, it's from typical Polaris fashion: updates! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Scramblers got newly designed cylinders in '96 or '97, giving them more power. In addition, the Scrambler 500 got concentric drive in '98, and both Scramblers, Xplorer 400, and Trailblazer and Sport in '99. So you're running a Scrambler with all of these improvements, the one I was against was just a "plain" one I guess, first year they came out. Well, I really didn't say the 300EX beat the Scrambler, I said the 300EX was like a quad length behind, but was catching up at the end. We didn't race long enough for me to actually pass him, but I was gaining on him, and with more distance, I would have. The rider error or experience doesn't come into play here, cause my dad was on the Scrambler which was his and was pretty good at riding it. With a Polaris, all you do is hit the gas and hold on, but I had the 300EX pushed to the max, getting a good clean shift every time. It was not five years old, it was less than three, because he sold his '95 Scrambler sometime in late '97 or early '98, whenever the Honda 450ES came out. I doubt that it would be sluggish due to it needing a top end, plus it's liquid cooled, so I don't think that's the case. Also, you said that the 300EX's don't seem much faster than your girlfriend's Trailblazer. I used to have a Trailblazer, and I had it still when I got my '98 300EX used, and then later sold the '96 Trailblazer. The 300EX could run circles around the Trailblazer. But again, it's updates that come into play here. In 1999, Polaris gave the Trailblazer concentric drive in the back, and this increased power, acceleration, and traction considerably, according to the magazines. So this pretty much explains all the conclusions, I think.

Old 11-28-1999, 04:47 AM
Pro Rider

Ranger, calm down. Try to be more positive about all the brands. Honda will keep their distance in the utility market once the Rubicon comes out, plus the new Ranchers are selling like hot cakes.

Old 11-28-1999, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

alright Roost, and i agree that Honda is going to keep pulling away in sales, once the Rubicon comes out, they buy Honda's for their reliability, what do you think about this debate on the smoother shifting expedition? I think it is all messed up! tell me what you think!

Ranger '86 200SX

Old 11-28-1999, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Ranger, I wasn't talking about the way you spell. I was saying that you just don't seem to know what you are talking about, that's all. We ALL get in a hurry and make typo's.
Rooster,
No big deal now I guess. It's just everyone talks about how great that 400EX is and my heavy, auto, grandma quad beats one. I just would expect more for the money that a 400EX cost I guess. Also, note I didn't say my gf's TB will beat on a 300EX. I said the TB (with a pipe, filter, jet) will run close with one. Rooster, I mean there are differences in riders, years of quads & even 2 quads following each other down the line can be different.
Ranger, you are so stuck on Honda you fail to see the light. I'm not downing Honda. All I said was that until the Rubicon Honda had nothing interesting except the 400EX. (Which is way overpriced.)
Also, 2 different riders can have very different results racing a Polaris, auto or not. The best thing the Polaris quads have going for them in a race is the holeshot. If you get that hard with the front wheels able to stay down you can put a length or two on a Banshee or Honda because they have such a short 1st gear. Want to beat a Polaris Sport while riding a Honda TRX 125? Just have my gf ride the Sport. Putt, putt...
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 11-28-1999, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

I thought this post was about the Rancher vs. Magnum325 ??

Old 11-28-1999, 01:45 PM
Range Rover

Ok guys, lets stay on topic. I don't think this new 4 wheel drive is anything for honda to be bragging about. It is basically the same system as in the bombardier traxter and according to the magnum test in this site's quad reviews it dosen't compare to the polaris's system which provided superior traction in ALL conditions. What I am mostly concerned about is price, towing capacity, quality of ride, reliability, and everthing else that is important to a mid-sized utility ATV. how about some input? THANKS!hi Luke!

Old 11-28-1999, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

Andrew- First off, i am not an english nut and never will be, dont worry how my replies are typed, dont be a critic on typing, that is just not needed! Then i do think that 300EX will run circles around a Trailblazer, a guy i ride with has a '99 300Ex and he raced a '99 250 polaris, he beat him by a long shot and could have kept pulling away if they had more room. And dont think that Polaris or any other ATV manufacter is going to surpass Honda, it is not going to happen. You dont have to dominate the utility market for anything, there is also a thing called sport and rec. market that Honda and other companys fill, Honda dominates ATV's and will for years to come! Thanks for your time Andy!

Old 11-28-1999, 04:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mag500,

It's hard to keep a bunch of guys focused on just one thing

It also will probably be hard to get a really accurate comparision as the 325 has been out for a while and the Rancher has just hit-the-street, so to speak.

We can theorize a bit though.

Price is pretty good I think - I have a dealer not to far from me that is selling the 4x4 ES for $4799.

Towing Capacity. This is kinda funny, cause I don't think it really is anywhere close on any of the quad brands - I think how much liability the manufacturer is willing to accept drives these numbers. i.e. My "little" Honda 300 is rated for about 850 lbs I think - We have a trailer that weights that much empty. We have loaded that trailer with rocks, firewood, hay, lumber, corn, etc and pulled it just fine. However - I would not recommend this as a daily occurance - I would recommend a larger liquid cooled quad for that. I said that to say this - If my 300 will pull that kind of weight, I would have to think the new Rancher would do at least that well or better since it has a more powerful engine.

Quality of ride: Haven't ridden one, but just pushing down on the front and back - It seems stiffer than my 300 - jeesh, I didn't know there was such a thing. Perhaps it loosens up a bit when ridden. Foremans seem to be softer sprung.

Reliability: Should be good - but, that's a quality that is earned, not given. We'll know more about that in a year or so.

Other than that - it seems to be a good size and is supposedly easier to steer ( a result of that non-important front diff you spoke of )

Happy Trails

------------------
Steve "Bog Hog" West

Honda 300 4x4 - Gordonized, Powered and Vamped

Old 11-28-1999, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

Potentone,
I agree "we" should stay on topic. It's just I had to defend my quad. Know what I mean?
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Quick Reply: Rancher vs magnum 325