Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

First Ride On A 400EX Today - WOW!! :D

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curiosity got me today so I had to stop when I saw a 400EX for sale at a local used car dealership. The graciously let me test ride it at the back of their lot. All I can say is "Wow!"

I absolutely loved it. I have read a lot of smack talk concerning Raptors, Banshees, DS650's, C-Dales, and such vs. the 400EX. I have also read the magazine tests about it coming in last in power when compared to the others. Well, let me say this about it...if those machines really are that much faster and more powerful than the machine I rode today, then they be just plain awesome and must absolutely fly.

Say what you want, but the 400EX is no slouch. It pulled my big ol' 6'3" 260lb butt across that parking lot in big, big hurry and handled wonderfully when I slid it around at the end! That was probably the worst thing I could have done was to ride that thing because all I'll do now is want one.

A 400EX would be plenty fast for me!

Old 04-24-2002, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

You have to look at the 400EX being slow in a different POV. The magazine test riders, people on here, aand everyone else who says the 400EX is underpowered have been riding for quite some time now, and compared to the other quads in it's class, it is underpowered. Back in 98, it was the second fastest quad made, but now there are 5(8 if you count all the C-Dales) quads to compare it too, which all have more power.

Old 04-24-2002, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer

You are right. Very nice quad, especially with its handling.

Old 04-24-2002, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

They are nice quads by all means,,,,add a cam, 416 high compression piston, pipe and modified airbox and they feel twice as fast,,then it will run with raptors, etc.

Old 04-24-2002, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider

I remember when I got my Warrior back in '95. I thought it was the fastest thing. I (hate to admit it) was afraid to open it all the way up on an open dirt road. After a while I felt comfortable going full throttle and hitting top speed. Now, it feels like a toy and I can't believe how slow it goes compared to my Banshee. Same story with my Banshee felt fast now it just feels OK and I want more speed.

It will be the same with the 400ex. Never say it will be fast enough for you; trust me you'll want more than it (or any machine) can deliver over time.

Old 04-25-2002, 01:16 AM
Trailblazer

I just don't get people when they say that a 400ex is underpowered compared to the Raptor,C-DALES and DS650, Ok the Raptor has 660cc's,C-DALES have what like 440cc's and the DS has 650cc's,What in the heck do you think!!!!You can't expect a 397cc engine to compete with a 660cc engine, I mean thats like comparing a Honda Sportrax 90 with a 400ex, C'mon now get over it, You guys are just scared to admit the power of the 400ex, Matt

Old 04-25-2002, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

I've said it before & I'll say it again. There is a bigger difference between the 300EX & the 400EX than there is between the 400EX & a DS/Raptor. My girls EX gives my DS a good run into 4th gear.

Old 04-25-2002, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

I think it's perfectly fair to compare the 400EX to the 432CC of the C'dales, what's so unfair about that, were only talking 32CC more.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] So when you compare these 2 quads, there is night and day difference in power between the 2. So yes, compared to the 432CC C'dales, the 400EX is a wimp!! I agree with the unfair comparison to the 660 raptor and the 650 Bombardier, much larger engines.

Old 04-25-2002, 11:24 AM
Range Rover

When people are comparing the power of different quads they aren't comparing how much horsepower per CC of the engine, they are comparing power and acceleration. Yes, the 400ex is a great ATV, and has enough power to get you where ever you want, and have fun doing it. Some of us want MORE POWER no matter what we ride. I still get a smile when I ride something that has almost more power than can be handled. I use to ride 500cc two stroke dirt bikes. Did I need that much power?, no, but being able to easily do a wheelie at 60 mph made me break out into an uncontrollable ear-to-ear smile, so having the power was important to me...

Good luck,
Lorrin

400ex (son's)
modded 2001 Raptor (mine)

Old 04-25-2002, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

I've been away from ATVs and motorcycles for about fifteen years now, but am wanting to get back in to the sport. I wake up sometimes from dreaming about my old motorcycles and still think I have them.

I agree, once you get used to a machine you automatically want more power. I guess what impressed me about the 400EX so much was that it had more acceleration than I thought it would. Years ago ('88 I think it was) my best friend in high school bought a brand spankin' new TRX250R. When I rode it, I had a blast, but I remember thinking that I imagined it would have been much more powerful.

When I hopped on that 400EX yesterday, I really expected (from all I'd read)for the power to be meager and to be disappointed with it. To my surprise, that booger really pulled away when I stabbed the throttle.

If I were in the market for a playbike, I would seriously consider the 400EX. I love its looks, handling and power. However, I would love to ride a 300EX to see how much power and handling I'd be giving up just to have reverse. (By the way, how do the two compare??)

But, on the other hand if I were going to spend that much money on something to play around on, I'd be tempted to spend just a little more and get the most power I could afford. I would definitely ride the Raptor and the DS650 before making the decision.

Quick Reply: First Ride On A 400EX Today - WOW!! :D