Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What would it take to make a 400ex faster than a DS 650?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002 | 12:44 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm leaning towards the DS 650. I just wish it weighed about 60 lbs less! Michael, I'm ruling out the raptor partly because I've heard too many problems with the transmission, but mostly because I just can't get comfortable on it. I've sat on all 3 at dealers, and the DS 650 is the most comfortable for me, the 400ex second, and the raptor last. Also (not in anyway bashing any ATV) the Raptor just doesn't seem as well-built as the others. I'm not saying it isn't, but little things like the real loose headlights and the plastic chain/disc brake guard on the rear axle show a lack of attention to detail that makes me wonder. I'm sure it's an excellent bike, but it's just not the one I want. I also like the Cannibal, but I've heard it's a red sticker unit here in Cali (meaning it's restricted as far as times of the year you can ride it and places you can ride it) and I don't want to deal with that. Again, thanks for all the posts.

Old 04-30-2002 | 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with what said and I dont take offense to anything about the the raptor. It is pretty $hitty of yamaha to put the key in a piece of cheap plastic, I replaced mine with billit but for $6500 why should you ? The seat does suck thats for sure , my big ol **** sure hurts after a day of whoops. The trans problem was fixed in '02. My advise is to look at the 02 bajas and wait for the 03 to come out and make ya a killer deal ! Good luck,you sound like ya got it figured out.

Michael

Old 04-30-2002 | 02:32 PM
Trailblazer

K&N: 50$, Dyno-Jet kit: 60$, Port & Polish: 400$, Curtis Sparks X-6 exaust: 480$, Rev box:100$
36 tooth rear sprocket: 45$ look on DS650 riders face: Priceless.
this combo will beat a stock raptor in the sand by over a bike length. unless you are getting the baha version on the DS650 you will be disapointed with the handling. the others are REALLY twitchy. the 400EX out handles anything and with these mods will keep up if not beat the DS depending on the weight of the riders. and remember the DS weighs close to 500 lbs! that's more *** than i want to haul.

Old 04-30-2002 | 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

kbl118-

The engine/perf mods I have (see my sig) keeps me right with and beating lightly modded DS650's, Raptors and LT250Rs in track/trail races. In sand/dirt drags, I usually *KILL* them. Pavement/hard pack drags, we are dead even depending on the start (I wheelie really bad thru 4th gear).

For around $1500, I did everything but the internal motor work myself. If you do the motor work yourself, you might be looking at less than $1000 or so. As far as top speed goes, you HAVE to go with the 16T front sproket...that makes my top speed in 5th, wide open, dead even with these other quads in long pavement drags.

Old 05-01-2002 | 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

<< I'm leaning towards the DS 650. >>

I'll clue you in on a couple of the Bom's quirks, then: First off, the tires on the regular DS are junk. They have all the traction of slicks on ice. They did swith to Ohtu's on the Baja, which have great traction and also seem to have calmed the high speed twitchyness. However, I had Ohtu's on my 400EX and they are very easy to tear on any kind of rocky terrain, so I don't think that's all that big of an advantage for the Baja. They also switched to race rims on the Baja. The Douglass Red Labels on the reg DS get beat up in a hurry. They don't have inner rings, though, which is where you get a lot of dings. I'd definately add weld on rings in the back. Another weakness of the DS is the rev limiter. The Baja has a higher rev limit, which lets you use more of the Bom's awesome top end power, and gives you a higher top speed. They also added some auxillery lighting, which never hurts.

A couple of additional things you'll eventually want to change out, even on the Baja:

A-arms-the only real fix for DS twitch

heel guards-they get tweeked pretty quick when you start getting big air.

exhaust-the stock muffler is VERY restrictive and really smothers the bottom end power.

foot pegs-not sharp enough and also get bent easily.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-01-2002 | 01:33 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the great info everyone. If I should go with a 4 stroke I'm still leaning towards the 650, and possibly the baja. I'm going to look into the Cali green/red sticker regulations a little more though, and if older 2 strokes aren't as restricted as I've been hearing I may just look for a LT500. I could save a few thousand dollars that way. I'll post when I decide/purchase. Thanks again for all the help.
Ben

Old 05-01-2002 | 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

Trxter.....even replace the A-Arms on the baja...your kidding right? I have both a 2001 and a baja there is no way tha baja needs a-arms . The steering on the baja is totaly awesome!! day &amp; night diff between the two. If your a rider that likes to cruise the dunes then all you need is a set of paddles on the baja. Now if you like to hill shoot then a rev box and a slip on or pipe and gear change and a set of 22&quot; paddles and thats all you will nead to have tons of fun.

Old 05-02-2002 | 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

Sand45, do you still have the Ohtsu's, or is the off set of the Baja wheels enough to curb the twitch?

Old 05-02-2002 | 01:23 AM
Range Rover

you can make a 400ex as fast as a ds( top speed ) by getting some 22 inch tires and 16/37 gearing but you acceleration will suck as long as the ds is stock. besides my ex is great i love the power