Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250R QUESTIONS.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 01:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< There ISN'T a dipstick on a R. >>

I don't know about that trapperb1.
I've seen MANY dipsticks on 250R's.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
They're the ones without helmets, and no spotters when jumping off of dunes![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2002, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

<< If there is no dipstick.....how do you know when your low on tran fluid? Oh yeah and you don't &quot;change&quot; tran fluid huh? >>

Good grief! I'm getting tired of answering all these questions when the guy doesn't even have a 250R yet. Not only that, but all this stuff is in the manual as stated earlier.

Have you even sent the money off to ERIC for the manual yet??[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2002, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

LOL, too funny 2 fun. There is no dip-stick on an R. There is a check bolt though. When I change my oil, I pull out the bolt, fill up the clutch case until oil starts to &quot;spew&quot; out the hole, than put the bolt back in and put in another second or two of oil(did that make sense, or should I break it down to include every detail. The bolt is a 12 mm, I think. You might have to get a tool fron your tool-box, can you handle it? just having a little fun.

Old 05-08-2002, 03:26 AM
Pro Rider

[quote] I don't know about that trapperb1.
I've seen MANY dipsticks on 250R's.
They're the ones without helmets, and no spotters when jumping off of dunes!

ROFLMAO!!!!

Hey, ltracerx, I got $.25 that says it's a 10mm.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Now, fer heavens sake, ya got anymore nimrod questions?

Old 05-08-2002, 08:47 AM
Trailblazer

12mm?? Damn,I dont have my ratchet set yet!!! Thanks guys.....but if mine dont have a dipstick with all the dipsh!ts around I'll buy it one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] A special gift to my gift.

Old 05-08-2002, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider

the check bolt is taken out with a 10mm socket.

Old 05-08-2002, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

Damn, I only have a 10mm wrench. Will my 20&quot; pipe wrench work?
ERIC

Old 05-08-2002, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

use a pliers. they work great for rounding off the bolt head [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2002, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Eric,
A 20&quot; pipe wrench won't work. It won't clear the frame when you slip the &quot;cheater&quot; pipe over the handle. Really a problem when you have someone sitting on it holding the brakes so it won't roll away.
If I don't have my 10mm handy, I like to use the ol' cold chisel and my 2 lb. sledge hammer. Gets that little sucker right off. This is also good for removing other stuck or hard to get at bolts/nuts on an R. It really works well for adjusting the chain and it a great addition to any backpack for long distance riding. I have found that a cold chisel is also an excellent parking brake; when you stop on a hill, just jam that puppy into the brake rotor and you're set! It isn't going anywhere. I've also used it for the foot brake; jam it between the pedal and the frame, get out the bailing wire and tie it on one end and wrap the wire down and around and over the seat real tight. Should hold for an indefinite time. Cold chisel is also good for cleaning dirty electrical connections. Just whack of the bad ends, use the sharp edge to clear away all that stupid insulation and twist the ends together and duct tape them! Better than those stupid fittings that come on it. Shoot! I'll bet I could rebuild/repair anything on a R if all I had was my sledge hammer, cold chisel, duct tape and some bailing wire. I have one more place a cold chisel works well (then I'm done); that's splitting cases. You ever have one of them engines where the cases just don't want to come apart? I have. Whack the thing a few times with the sledge, and if that doesn't do it, jam that chisel in there and whack it with the sledge. Should open that thing right up. Just keep extra case gaskets and some of that old fashioned permatex around when you want to put them back together.

Old 05-08-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yea, one more note:
That oil check bolt is left hand thread! Mine must have been really stuck because the bolt broke when I use the impact wrench on it(trapperb1 was right, the pipe wrench didn't work).

I got it out and plugged the hole because the threads were stripped. I used a 3/8&quot; piece of cork and some JB weld to keep it in there.
ERIC

Quick Reply: 250R QUESTIONS.