Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

*help* wheelie shifting w/ clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 07:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TRY A ONE WHEEL WHEELIE IS HARD!!! YOU CAN ONLY DO IT FOR A SECOND OR TWO.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default *help* wheelie shifting w/ clutch?

using ur clutch is pointless while doin a wheelie just lean back and giver some gas get it to the balance point and if u start to go faster shift gears, i dont use the clutch while doin that, thats juss dumb.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Range Rover

use the cluch why do you think its ther and just try to hit the gas a little be for you shift good luck

p.s. i start my wheelys in 4th and have no problum shifting up with the cluch

Old 01-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

I start in first and use the clutch all the way to fourth i haven't had enough room to get to fifth yet. I will eventually

Old 01-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Okay childrens. Heres how it works. Sit back on the seat, and drop the clutch into first smoothly. The front will come up no matter what you ride. Ride around on the two rear wheels in first for a while and flip your machine around to get the hang of it. I've found the foot brake to be handy too no matter what gear I'm in. If you learn how to balance, clutch, and use the rear brake in first well enough, you can actually get your bike to come to a stop on the rear wheels and use subtle body motion to hold it there for a second or two. Try to hit second. rev it to about 3/4 of full rpm in first. If executed properly, you will be just barely In front of the balance point when you pull the clutch in, let off the gas, and shift very quickly. When you drop the clutch, get right on it, and the hit will pull you back to the balance point. Keep it rollin' through all the gears. Take it from the master. I can make 5th from first almost every time. Given, I have flat sand fields to ride, so hard shifts and get-offs are far more forgiving.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It just takes practice, practice, practice. Adventually you will get to a point where you do not even think about it and finding the right balance is 2nd nature to you.

The only tip I can give you on using the clutch is, try using just your middle and index finger to pull in the clutch with. That helps a lot for a newb doing wheelies.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

A buddy of mine used to shift gears doing a wheelie without using a clutch......
Until he replaced the tranny.....USE THE CLUTCH!!!!

Old 01-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

what kinda bike was it? cuz the new sport quads today it wont the tranny if u dont user the clutch while doin a wheelie and shifting thru the gears, i no a kid that rides a z400 and doesnt use his clutch while riding except when he starts and he has rode it alot no clutch ever its absouletly fine o and hes a atc mechanic by the way so hes not an idiot he nos its ok to ride without a clutch as long as u r doin it properly

Old 01-16-2006, 06:57 PM
Range Rover

shift quick and smooth
i can start a wheelie in 1st and shift all the way to 4th. just takes practice

Old 01-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Do you use your clutch to shift when you are riding normally? Why? What's the difference?

It can be argued until each party is blue in the face, but the FACT is that under normal circumstances using the clutch to shift in a wheelie is better for your quad than not using it.

As for instructions....I didn't re-read what I wrote, but I think I cover it a little in here http://www.atvriders.com/articles/atvwheelie.html

Quick Reply: *help* wheelie shifting w/ clutch?