Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

My 250R is slower. Something is wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool. Thanks for tip, 2fun. Right now I'm in the 3rd clip position and is was in the second clip. So I'll drop down to the bottom position and see what happens. Also, I assuming my pilot is stock (48) even though I've never seen it simply because most people never bother to open the carb to change it. If I am, do think looking at my mods (see first my first post), what pilot would you have put in it?? This could have me close. I think I finish my leaning my mixture w/Klotz synthetic technoplate from 32:1 to 40:1.

What do you think?

Old 05-06-2002, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

By the way. I have my airbox cover on if that matters in you figuring my jet settings.

Old 05-06-2002, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try only one notch at a time (I know I said go to the 5th, but that was before I knew you had it backward).
Only change one variable at a time, or you will not know WHERE you are at!
The needle will affect ~ 1/4 - 3/4 throttle, so this MAY take care of the problem, but the slow circuit is mainly controlled by the air screw, and pilot jet.

You can try changing to a larger pilot and see if it helps too, but like I said, only change one thing at a time.

A larger pilot jet will also give you more fuel thoughout, as it is adding fuel to the other circuits right from the beginning.

Does your lid have holes in it?

Have you tried turning in, or out, the air screw? Did this help, or not?

Going from a 32:1 to 40:1 will also richen the FUEL to AIR RATIO.
You should be fine with 40:1

Once you mix it at that, leave it there, or it will also be adding another factor to your jetting problems.

Do you have a manual??

Old 05-06-2002, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

no, no holes in the box. Yeah, I've played around with the air screw but I just leave at 1 and 1/2 turns out. I wouldn't know how to tweak it correctly anyway. screw in or out and why? what leans and what richens in terms of the air screw?

Old 05-06-2002, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider

<< I've done many plug checks at full throttle and the insulator is always brownish tan. the main is fine. >>

Please explain to me (in great detail) how you do your plug check from starting up the quad, to pulling the plug for inspection.

Old 05-06-2002, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

<< no, no holes in the box. Yeah, I've played around with the air screw but I just leave at 1 and 1/2 turns out. I wouldn't know how to tweak it correctly anyway. screw in or out and why? what leans and what richens in terms of the air screw? >>

Turning IN the airscrew RICHENS the mixture.
Turning OUT the airscrew LEANS the mixture.
If it gets better turning it IN, you are running lean, and vise versa.

Old 05-06-2002, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

You should also check your float height.
It should be 16mm (.630&quot from the bottom of the carb.

Old 05-06-2002, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

Plug check process:

I run a new plug in a warm engine and rev out full throttle in about 3rd for 5 seconds and pull the clutch and kill the engine and I check the plug to see how the main jet is.

for the needle, I do the same but at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

Yes I have a manual. But you know, &quot;lightly seating a screw&quot; is not an exact science. One guy's idea of &quot;lightly seat&quot; vs. another guy's can be off by 2 MM.

I don't have the tools to check float heights and I'd be nervous about doing it because you can screw up your float level and have a leaking carb that won't stop dribbling gas. I've seen it happen to mechanics. Carb floats and float valves are funny, touchy animals if you don't do it perfectly.

Old 05-06-2002, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds god on the plug check!

Floats aren't that bad. I've had to adjust a few. Just gotta read real carefully, so's you do it right.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

P.S.,
You can use a machinists steel rule (under 10 bucks), and read the side that measures in thousandths.

You don't have to adjust anything if the float height is already set correctly.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2002, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the tip. the only thing is, actually moving the float makes me nervous. I'm afraid I'll bend it wrong or break it! I'd rather let a good mechanic do it. The jetting, I'll do. If that doesn't fix it, I'll check the float....or should I say, HAVE IT CHECKED. hahaha

Quick Reply: My 250R is slower. Something is wrong.