Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX v 650Prarie

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, in a short drag(up to 1000ft)the 650 will take most quads,including the 400EX.It ALSO pretty much tops out by then, they pull from 50mph to 60mph kinda slow.That's no shame for the EX, cause in the long run, or on a track or in woods trails, it should blow a 650 away.That's the stuff its made for.

Don't get caught napping , though, a really good rider(or crazy)will be able to do some pretty amazing things in the woods and trails with that 650.I know firsthand that it will wheelie, catwalk, powerslide, hillclimb and blast through mudholes like you wouldn't believe.

KING250R,,,If you wanna be hardcore, you gotta stop waitin, fer that "R" to magically land on your doorstep.Get into your truck, drive to "the middle of somewhere" and buy it!

Old 05-06-2002, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

<< KILLER250R,,,If you wanna be hardcore, you gotta stop waitin, fer that &quot;R&quot; to magically land on your doorstep.Get into your truck, drive to &quot;the middle of somewhere&quot; and buy it! >>

WHAT ? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I allready have an R, it's sitting in my shed.

Old 05-06-2002, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

I own both machines and have drag raced them. I posted something in the Kawi forum about it. But basically it was me and my brother, both around 180lbs. A gravel parking lot (small gravel) with traction that wasn't premium. We raced about an 1/8th of a mile. I got to 5th gear on the 400.

The first race my bro on the Prairie beat me on the 400EX by about a half a quad length my front tire was even with the floorboard. The next 3 races I got a better start, didn't spin as much and beat the Prairie by a wheel then by a quad length the last two times. Fact is, the Prairie is wicked fast. Those of you who are posting how much it weighs as a reason for it to be slow, obviously have never ridden one. That motor is totally awesome. Put that engine in a sport quad frame and nothing, anywhere would touch it.

I do think the 400 would have done better in a more grippy surface, but I haven't tested that yet.
Also, I have dropped a tooth and 22inch tires on my 400 for the woods riding I do, so even though this puts me back to stock gearing, I'm turning more rubber than stock tires.

Either way, it would be a close race, and it wouldn't be a walk in the park for a 400EX.

To answer the original question, my friend has a modded 300EX, White Bros pipe, K&amp;N Filter, rejetted, holeshots all around, he lost in repeated drags with the Prairie in a grassy field, again, traction was less than perfect.

I forgot to mention my 400EX has a White Bros. pipe, K&amp;N Filter, rejetted and I have dragged stock 400's and usually edge them out pretty easily.

Old 05-06-2002, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

KILLER250R,,,sorry man, that was a typo. Its been edited.

Old 05-06-2002, 08:17 PM
Range Rover

YA OFF THE START THE KAWI CAN KILL EVERYTHING EVEN IF I STRAIGHT SHIFT MY 400EX. BUT ONCE THE 400EX GETS GOING IT WILL BEAT THE PRAIRIE. WE HAD 27INCH OUTLAWS ON IT AND YOU COULD STILL PULL CATWALKS. SCARY
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2002, 08:38 PM
GTV
Range Rover

Thanks for the posts guyes, good reading material!!

As stated in the first post, my dad has the 650, and I know it is quick of the line, my b-in-law is supposeto have his new 400EX today so I will have a chance to compare the two before I buy mine(400ex). Maybe, I can wait a few months to see how the suz Z400 is goeing compare to the 400ex

I have a thread started in the &quot;buying a ATV&quot; Forum, trying to get ideas on the best choice of sport quad for my type of use(if you get boared, give it a look).

Anyway, thanks for the comments, heated and all...

Old 05-06-2002, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

Ive seen a blaster drill one in dirt off the line and the 650 prairie never caught it until the blaster was wide open in 6th ..blaster had pipes and a K&amp;N power kit...top end it killed it!!!

Old 05-06-2002, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

I should have said in my previous post that drag racing proves very little in my opinion of quad performance. It's the way it handles that makes it a great trail machine. IMO So far I'm very happy with the Prairie but it won't hang with any sport bike (with a good rider) in the woods. However, I know of some riders that own P650's that could easily dust many sport bike riders.

Number one mod you can put on a quad is the rider.

Again, I think traction is the number one variable, if both quads hooked up hard, the lighter quad is gonna launch but the less traction the heavier quad will grip better and get the power to the ground.

However, if it's raining on a Tuesday and the barometric pressure is below 39 milibars...... yada yada yada yada........LOL.

Old 05-06-2002, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

Well said, Buckeye

Old 05-06-2002, 10:35 PM
GTV
Range Rover

Buckeye, I agree, you are right on! I know my question is elementary, unfortunantly, I am not(31). I started rideing (dirt bikes) before I had walking down pat(HaHa), qiut rideing for awhile, and just got back &quot;into&quot; it 2 yrs ago. I have had more fun in the last 2 than I ever remember haveing when I rode every day as a kid! Sometimes it seems illegal, it's so much fun...

As far as drag raceing goes, you are correct. All we do is trail ride, the only time we drag is when heading to the woods, gota do something between the trailer and the trail, why not grab a handful of go, just for fun.

It takes time and experience to be quick in the woods, a great rider with the poorest quad can smoke the best quad with the poorest rider(don't you agree?) BUT... the same doest't hold true in the drags, skill can in fact only gets you so far(agree).

I know draging is like &quot;simple minds, simple pleasures&quot;, but it's still part of the little games we play, sometimes you just gotta do it!

Later guyes...

Quick Reply: 400EX v 650Prarie