Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help with Carb!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2000, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WGR- I thought about that.... but those screws are really small and i dont want to miss anything and strip something out. What are these easy outs all about??? i guess i have never used them.... well guys, any more ideas?? thanks guys..

Old 03-07-2000, 11:59 AM
wgr
Trailblazer

You are just going to drill the head off the bolts leaving the stud this will allow you to remove the float bowl and grip the studs with vicegrips.

Old 03-07-2000, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

You don't have to drill out the whole screw, just use a big bit that will remove the head, or cut the head off with a wiz wheel or a grinder. Once you have the head off, take out the remaining "stud" with a vice grip. For future referance, make sure you use a good, sharp, #2 phillips bit to remove these screws. The bit looks too big at a glance, but it will work. The smaller #1 will strip those screws every time.

Old 03-07-2000, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer

Before you go and drill out those screws on your carb try using a minuature pair of vise grips to grab on to the head of the screws, you probably had a big pair of vise grips? You can get the small pair of grips at any auto parts store that sells tools. If the screws are seized in the bottom of the carb and you use a "easy out" you could possibly split the base of the carb if the easy out has to much grab and does not give. The carb is made of soft metal and the easy outs are made of much harder material. Which do you think is going to break first. only use the easy out as a last resort.

Old 03-07-2000, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Well guys... I got the bowl off and we are in good shape, I drilled out the screws... i tryed my SMALL vicegrips on one screw and actually got it out after a couple minutes of straining... the other two didnt haveenough room for the grips... So i dot out the drill bits... they worked but man are there a few scars underneath now, but nothing major... I took the bowl off and found the main jet and pilot jet, I look through the 125 main jet, and that looked quite clean, I took out the 35 pilot jet and saw that it was smaller of course, but the tinest bit of light was getting through, so i took some compressed air and i think i blew that out... So now all i have to do is get three new screws for the bowl and ill be set, but... What do you guys think of me putting in a bigger main?? and doing some airbox mods?? And if i got a bigger main i would most likely need a bigger pilot?? If any of you guys could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!!! I would like to get some more power out of my 250X! Thanks guys!!

Old 03-07-2000, 10:11 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

Id leave the jetting alone if it is stock.. you may want to run some fine wire threw that pilot jet..i use the stuff off my wire wheel bench grinder..some performance shops say that the wire can throw off the spray pattern on the soft brass but i never have had any trouble..just make sure it is clear as it sometimes is quite hard

Old 03-07-2000, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Ok I guess i never even thought of that wire.. i was looking everywhere for some thing small enough... should a push pin go through at least?
the kinds used for clothes and stuff?? i tryed but couldnt get that through.... Thanks for the help guys.... You have got me through something i never could have by myself.... thanks a ton...

Old 03-08-2000, 03:47 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

oh no, no needle will make it threw.. just piano wire or the grinder wire works.. I once did a honda EM500 genator with a 40cc engine, that carb was so tiney nothing would go threw the pilot jet so i gave it to a friend who works at boeing and he used some nasty dip on it.. that worked

Old 03-08-2000, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

ok we will try some grinder wire tonight.. thanks man, you have been a big help, but im not out of the woods yet.. see ya

Old 03-08-2000, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Well like i said I wasnt out of the woods yet... I got everything back in place and tightened down, I go to kick it over and there is nothing i do it for about a minute and not even a slight pop comes out, so i check my spark plug, thats fine, then i took the little cap on the bowl off to see if any fuel made it that far. There was a tiny bit, but not enough for much to do anything. Then i thought about it and shut the gas off and checked if gas was coming out of the tank... Yep it was coming out, cuz i turned the gas on slowly, and it started coming out so i shut it off and came in here and wrote this, since i have no clue what would be wrong.... please help guys.... please!!!

Quick Reply: Help with Carb!